View Single Post
Old 03-14-2005, 10:58 PM   #39 (permalink)
pan6467
Lennonite Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sob
I think you mean "at will employment" states.

Damn. I was agreeing with you so much until the last sentence.

Once again, class: The lower 50%, which is the poor and some of the middle class, AREN'T OVERBURDENED WITH INCOME TAXES, BECAUSE THEY DON'T PAY ANY.

And your definition of "scot free" is apparently being taxed for yourself, your family, and to support quite a few other families.
What I mean by overburdening the middle and lower classes while the upper class gets off scot free is this....

If my wife and I make around $30,000, by the time we pay FICA, State, Federal, Sales Tax, local tax, hidden taxes (gas, phone, cable etc) our $30,000 is gone fast, even if we do live within our means (which we do).

However, someone making over $1 million, may pay the same taxes, but because of their income they don't miss it as much. I don't begrudge them a nice life and their money as I am a firm believer MOST worked very hard for it. But to cry that taxes are too high for them is truly sickening.

I'll give you an example.... I have spoken a lot of my father on here in the past. He started with absolutely nothing worked extremely hard, was given breaks by companies that had government funding to help train him to become a Civil Engineer and Surveyor (before one had to go to college to get training). He became one of the best waste water treatment facility engineers in the nation. He pulls down 6-7 figures every year.

Now with all he pays in taxes, he can still have a time share in Miami Beach, take 3 trips a year for 2 weeks a pop to the Bahamas and the Carribean and still live very well and never worry about money. He lives within his means, and I am extremely proud of the man for making himself.

So to say taxes hurt him, I have to scratch my head.

Yes, the person living in NYC or LA, where the cost of living is higher may have a better argument, but in Ohio.....

Now, you take someone who has 2-3 kids, makes the median income maybe a little more say, $50,000. The money they lose in taxes hurts them far more than it does the upper echelons and it hurts the economy, because the vast majority are spending more on taxes than they can truly afford. Hence the need for credit, hence the indebtedness, hence the bankruptcies, late payments and shrinking middle class.

I am simply saying find a tax system that doesn't overburden the people who need the money the most and tax those who can afford it (those who make over a million) a little more, or at least take away all their loopholes and deductions.

We all need to tighten or belts but for God's sake.... how many cars can you drive, how much is enough for some of these people? The tax burdens have to be more fair.
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"

Last edited by pan6467; 03-14-2005 at 11:09 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54