View Single Post
Old 03-14-2005, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
trache
Insane

[general] RAD Development

I'm gearing my post towards Delphi developers, but I know this might go a long way for everyone who programs using a RAD environment.

My current problem is that I don't really know how I want to structure my program. It's a LiveJournal client, and it's only being created as a time-waster. I need something to do with my spare time!

Right now all I want to do is have a login form and a PostEvent type form.

Login - lets you enter in your name and password and logs you in. If successful, it shows the PostEvent form.
PostEvent - has fields that allow you to enter music, mood, event text. A post button will send the request to the server.

In Delphi, you have the concept of a main form that gets created and shown when your porgram initially runs. You can change things a little however, so you can do pretty much anything.

For some reason, perhaps its my procedural programming background, but I hate the idea of having the login form being the "main" form (which by Delphi standards, if it closes, the program is terminated). So I have a third form that does nothing except hide itself, and show the login form.

Also, I would like to know if it is proper to reference other modules in ones code, say Unit1.Invoke_This_Method. For another odd reason, I think that there is another more proper way to do that, too... but alas this is why I'm asking the question in the first place - so, in my login form would I just code in a posteventform.show ? or should i create an instance of the TPostEvent form in the local scope and then do a MyPostEventForm.Show ?

Is this "proper"? I'd like to advanced my programming skills, so as I know you can program something 10 different ways, I would like to know what should be the most proper, most efficient, most "advanced" I guess. Am I making sense?

I think Visual C has a bit of RAD development, and if not I know Visual Basic certainly does. How is it done properly in VB?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62