View Single Post
Old 03-10-2005, 06:23 PM   #23 (permalink)
irateplatypus
can't help but laugh

i am a conservative who can not find any meaningful redemptive qualities about liberal philosophies (or, at least what is commonly described as a liberal philosophy in a contemporary sense). the only sympathy i have with liberals is that there are many who are sincerely well-meaning.

i think there is some confusion on this thread between what is a conservative/liberal philosophy and the distinction it has from republican/democrat agendas. you may say that you favor the legalization of certain types of drugs on the grounds that the government has no domain in that part of society (just ask an uber-conservative libertarian). if you're likely to have more sympathetic ears on the issue from the democratic side that does not mean that your stance is coming from a liberal point of view. rather, that is a conservative view that finds a better home among the democratic party.

i am a republican simply because they are the political apparatus through which a conservative agenda has the most force. when that changes... so will my vote. it's important not to think of parties as one in the same with a particular philosophy or ideology. some people struggle with that, hence the mistaken idea that the current congress practices a policy of small government/fiscal restraint. i can find common ground with democrats and the democratic party. i cannot say that about the current iteration of liberal-minded people.
If you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly, you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance for survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.

~ Winston Churchill

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62