View Single Post
Old 03-05-2005, 03:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Willravel
... a sort of licensed troubleshooter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA-628
Will -
Mutually assured destruction is already a guarantee, well, at least their destruction is. If they used a nuke on anybody, the whole world would probably demand their destruction (ironic, eh?).

Yet, knowing that we could wipe them off the planet hasn't really proven to be a deterrent to anything. You would think it would have an effect, but it just doesn't seem to.

If am up against a super-power that I know I could never win against, agitating them would not be on my to-do list. Yet, Iran is throwing threats around like threats are on a blue-light special at K-mart.
It's them deterring us, not us deterring them that is driving them. If we attack them prematurely (before there is PROOF), the world will turn on us very quickly. That gives Iran time to develop nuclear weapons. When they do have weapons, and it is proven, they will already have them pointd at something. By the time we know they exist for sure, it will be too late. If we try to stike at them, we run the risk of not stopping all of their nukes from firing. Imagine Rome or Athens being wiped out because we decided to play world-police yet again. We can't hit them without running the risk of being hit back. That is what deterrance really is. That's why America and Russia aren't smoking, glowing holes. If we would have struck at Russia first, we would have been hit. Likewise if Russia would have struck, they would have been destroyed aswell. While it's clearly a delacite and fragile peace teatering on the edge of complete destruction, it is still a peace. Iran will be in the incasion-free club along with every other country that has nukes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgelito
Iran has NO GOOD REASON to develop nukes. Who's a threat? Kurds? Sunnis? Syria? Iraq? No, if they're threat, they can always gas them. No need for nukes.

No the nukes are for telling us that they want to flex some muscle and threaten Israel.
Who led the most succesful and shocking invasion and removal of a middle eastern regime recently? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't Kurds or Sunnis or Syria or Iraq or any other middle eastern group or nation.

Who is the single greatest theat to the theocracy in Iran? Who has shown that they have the power to destroy and invade in the name of democracy - democracy being the opposite of a theocracy, btw - and has their eye on Iran right now?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62