View Single Post
Old 03-01-2005, 06:39 AM   #26 (permalink)
retsuki03
Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakran
The WMD issue is a good example. It's been proven 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt that Saddam didn't have WMD's, yet I have yet to see a Bush supporter say "ya know what? My guy lied to everyone about that."
Really? 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt? Where did you hear that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakran
But I'm kinda tired of people acting like argument is a bad thing. I don't think we need to be PC in here, and I don't think we need to mollycoddle the other side. If you have an opinion, state it. If you have facts, cite them. And if you are presented with irrefutable facts from reputable sources that you are wrong, for cripes sake, acknowledge it instead of trying to maintain your point with twisted logic.
I agree as long as everyone tries to remain cordial. The idea that you are going to change the mind of someone on the opposite end of the spectrum is more an exercise in futility than a possibility. I like hearing from people who disagree with me, but not people blindly towing a party line.

If people have a complaint about Bush, they can say, "Bush did this, I don't agree with it, here is why." That way, it comes down to a matter of opinions rather then a long drawn out specious fact/source war. People are going "interpret" facts how they choose to. If someone "interprets" a fact in a different way, it seems to me that it is pointless to argue about it. Just accept their opinion based on their interpretation. From there, you can agree or disagree. I am fairly new to this forum, but I would say so far that the discourse is at worst a cut above other sites I have seen.

There was, however, a thread where two people were arguing over the meaning of the word democracy. That seems to me to be an example of the lowest form of discussion and made me want to skip even dealing with that topic all together. When you are arguing over the meaning of a word like democracy, you are not (in my opinion) being very productive. If democracy is truly that esoteric of a concept, perhaps you have larger issues to deal with and you should leave the political discussion to the adults.

Sorry for the lack of brevity. Just my 2 cents.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54