View Single Post
Old 02-28-2005, 06:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
roachboy

Super Moderator
kma:

so what you are saying is that we should all act as though nothing basic is at stake in debates?
then what you want is not debate at all.
what you want is no basic disagreement.
from this it follows that what you want is a single political framework to be dominant, and it follows that you would prefer this dominant frame of reference be conservative.
that is what you are demanding in the above post.
nothing more, nothing different, nothing less.

but why should we agree on a frame of reference when often it is that frame of reference that is or becomes the focus of the debate?

the conflict--and it is a conflict--that seperates "left" from right at this particular moment is one of control over the terms of debate.

you question my intent.
well, my intent is to try to get conversation out of this place into someplace where we could actually talk about basic terms that shape how discussions can unfold.

to this, you react in a reductive manner--you decided that what i mean is that the right is the source of all evil--which i never said--which i do not even think---what i do believe is that this particular situation is characterized by a consistent, systematic inability of conservatives to state the premises around which their arguments are built, to even start to consider that there might be problems with their positions, and that those problem start (and be discussed) at the level of premise.

another, related point:
one of the other consistent features of contemporary conservative discourse--which you did not invent, and for which i do not blame you or any other conservative i run into here--is to float particular arguments as if they reflect the beliefs of all americans.
it was like this during the clinton period, when the far right operated in opposition.
it is like that now
(remember the way the right tried to cast everyone who opposed the war in iraq as anti-american? i do....)

well they dont speak for all americans.
i am sorry if you do not like that.
but there is nothing you can do about it.

again--we could choose to conduct things a bit differently--but it might require some compromise from your side (you personally, and you insofar as you occupy a particular political space)--what you are asking for is quite the opposite--compromise from everyone else, and nothing from you.

maybe you could try to respond to questions and be willing to lay your arguments out as arguments rather than deciding to take offense (which is rarely intended)?

it make you sick.

-kamau brathwaite

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54