View Single Post
Old 02-27-2005, 04:50 AM   #25 (permalink)
Kadath
Muffled

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofnway
"Kinsey's methodology was criticised by some of the leading psychologists of the day, notably by Abraham Maslow. Fully 25% of Kinsey's survey group were, or had been, prison inmates, 5% were male prostitutes, and the majority were volunteers. It was claimed that he refused to consider volunteer bias as a confounding factor even when he was warned by prominent research psychologists (note that the reports claim 100% sample rates of small communities), that he provided incomplete demographic data, and that his statistical methods of analysis were inappropriate. " Wikipedia..distills that pretty well.......just topping the pile
I read the article on Wikipedia about Kinsey, and nowhere can I find the quoted material. Then I searched for an entire quote from the thing you posted and realized it was from "Kinsey Reports" and it goes on:
Quote:
In a response to these criticisms, Paul Gebhard, Kinsey's successor as director of the Kinsey Institute for Sex Research, spent years "cleaning" the Kinsey data of its purported contaminants, removing, for example, all material derived from prison populations in the basic sample. In 1979, Gebhard (with Alan B. Johnson) published The Kinsey Data: Marginal Tabulations of the 1938-1963 Interviews Conducted by the Institute for Sex Research. Their conclusion, to Gebhard's surprise he claimed, was that none of Kinsey's original estimates were significantly affected by this bias.

Professor Martin Duberman writes:

Instead of Kinsey's 37 percent, Gebhard and Johnson came up with 36.4 percent; the 10 percent figure (with prison inmates excluded) came to 9.9 percent for white, college-educated males and 12.7 percent for those with less education. And as for the call for a "random sample," a team of independent statisticians studying Kinsey's procedures had concluded as far back as 1953 that the unique problems inherent in sex research precluded the possibility of obtaining a true random sample, and that Kinsey's interviewing technique had been "extraordinarily skillful." They characterized Kinsey's work overall as "a monumental endeavor."
I think it's a little intellectually dishonest to stop quoting an encyclopedia entry right at the point where it refutes the prevous section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofnway
We all suffer fools...
And gladly, if I remember correctly. You're okay by me, nofnway.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62