View Single Post
Old 02-24-2005, 03:03 PM   #28 (permalink)
flstf
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubertuber
Everyone should remember that the music industry doesn't only pay artists and themselves big$$. There are people at all levels of the process making decent money - even down to some gopher at the studio that gets $15 an hour - a bit more than minimum wage, by the way - to fetch water for the band. These are the guys that will get hurt first in your boycott, not the executives or artists. Not to mention that every copy sold gets royalties for each artists involved, including the back-up band/orchestra and composers. Face it, music is expensive to buy because it is expensive to make - there is a lot of capitol and risk involved in signing, recording, promoting, and selling an artist. There are only a few people with the means to even get into that process, and they want to be rewarded for assuming that risk. There are lots of artists that have that money sunk into them that never make a dime for the label - they just lose money.
While I agree with you in principal, with digital music so easy to produce and so easy to obtain, the old business plan will not work anymore. The labels are going to have to figure out how to sell such a readily available commodity maybe similar to the way bottled water companies sell water. The technology to protect and/or enforce the distribution of digital media will not keep up with our ability to copy and share. They are the victims of new technology and must change with it.

In the future they may not have the resources to create and market the next Britney Spears or New Kids on the Block. Maybe an appeal to our sense of right and wrong may have an effect but I doubt it. The complaints of many artists that they were taken advantage of by the labels does not help their cause. I imagine the movie industry will go down the same path once storage devices become larger and less expensive.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62