View Single Post
Old 02-22-2005, 11:47 PM   #35 (permalink)
Seaver
Junkie

Quote:
Not quite, it was Canada, but it was a British colony. And you were a bunch of chickens taking on Britain when she was busy fighting with Napoleon.

As Charlatan stated the only country that we have to worry about invading Canada is the USA.

So many americans like to pat themselves on the back and say, "if it weren't for us, you guys would be invaded"

To which I respond, "the only country that is a threat to Canada is the USA, so will you protect me from you?"

The USA could invade Canada and take over the government with relative ease. Of that I am certain. Even if we spent the same percentage of our GDP on our military as the US does, we could not repell a US invasion because we are a country of 31 million people. (The US currently spends 3 x's in terms of percentages of GDP on their military compared to what Canada spends.)

But, you would never be able to keep us. All we would have to do is resist and eventually you would suffer defeat.

Canada is like Russia in WW2, vast, cold, and stubborn. Eventually, we would win and restore the boarder, of that I am sure. Korea, Vietnam, Iraq have all proven that America can not win a war even against a 3'rd world country. Unless you drop nukes, you can't win it would seem. I really doubt that the USA would nuke Toronto with NY state some 40 miles due south.
Chill out with the pissing contest buddy, the US doesnt want to invade Canada. The last time they did was 200 years ago, when we were still enemies of the crown.

If you read my post I never took an anti-Canada tone, nor of either is better than the other. I'm not even going to bother pointing out the mistakes in your post, it's not even worth it, just lets try to guide this back to my origional post about the differences in priorities.

Canada can afford to put its priorities on the peoples welfare because it is friends with the most powerful country in the world. Its only border is with a country that has no interest in warfare with it. They can afford to spend more on other areas, while we are preoccupied with international defense (not to say Canada doesnt send help with us 90% of the places we go).

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62