View Single Post
Old 04-20-2003, 03:08 PM   #35 (permalink)
Somenosuke
Insane

Lack of personal responsibility really makes my blood boil, also. Like that bloke who tried to sue McDonalds because he got fat. Uhhhm. Riiiight. I'm an obese person, and I don't blame anyone but myself for it. I don't blame society, or my parents, or the fast food chains, or my cat or anything like that.

Same thing with people who blame society/video games/music/tv/movies for their kids doing idiotic things. My parents were nice enough to have a talk with my brothers and I about not doing the silly things we saw on television, instead of waiting until someone set my pants on fire to worry about it and say "Oh, damn it to hell! That damned television made my kid do something he/she ought to have known better about in the first place!"

It also angers me to see parents neglecting their kids. I mean blatantly. I know it's impossible to have an eye on your kids every nanosecond of the day, but I have seen some outrageous things. I was riding the bus home from class last summer, and there was this little kid outside -all by himself- with nobody looking after him at all. He was on his little tricycle and was sitting at the edge of his driveway, trying to touch the bus as it raced past him. This little boy could not have been older than 3, and there wasn't a soul around anywhere. Nobody in the yard watching, not even looking out the front door or window. The neighborhood was almost desolate, and this little boy was just wandering around to get hurt/killed/whatever. Things like that make me sick.

I personally don't intend to really ever have kids, and I don't profess to have all the answers (I'm only turning 20 next weekend, so I certainly don't know everything!), but common sense would say that people should -not- let their kids wander around in the street unsupervised. I'm sure if that little boy had been hit by the bus, the parents would have sued, and nobody would have asked why he was in harm's way like that in the first place.

Uh, whoops! Went off on a huge tangent. Sorry.

Last edited by Somenosuke; 04-20-2003 at 03:11 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62