View Single Post
Old 02-13-2005, 01:07 AM   #21 (permalink)
K-Wise
It's All About The Ass!!

Quote:
In the mid eighties Stewart had submitted her manuscript to an ad placed by the Wachowski Brothers, requesting new sci-fi works.
Quote:
According to court documentation, an FBI investigation discovered that more than thirty minutes had been edited from the original film, in an attempt to avoid penalties for copyright infringement. The investigation also stated that "credible witnesses employed at Warner Brothers came forward, claiming that the executives and lawyers had full knowledge that the work in question did not belong to the Wachowski Brothers." These witnesses claimed to have seen Stewart's original work and that it had been "often used during preparation of the motion pictures." The defendants tried, on several occasions, to have Stewart's case dismissed, without success.
See now if that part of the article is indeed true then none of the skeptics have a leg to stand on. Because any "similarities" to the Matrix story wouldn't really be similarities at all. They would be blatant rip offs of her original ideas with little things tweaked here and there so it's not a complete word for word plagerism. If those things are indeed true they at LEAST owe her royalties for the obvious inspiration drawn from her original copywrite. Now if The Wachowski Brothers can prove that they've had the story of the The Matrix copywrited in 1980 or earlier then she would have no case.

So yeah you can find similarities in just about anything but if they really did recieve a copy of her story and really did reference it during the preperation of the motion pictures then it's pretty hard to call it a similarity.

It wouldn't be the first time someone took an idea someone else originally had and change it around a little for their movie/book/screenwrite/etc. For instance many people believe that Body Snatchers is a complete and blatant rip off of The Puppet Masters. That claim holds weight..then ya have the crazier ones that say Star Wars is a rip-off of The Lord Of The Rings with Dark Vader as The Dark Lord Soron. All kinds of stuff...no one could prove they were ripping these ideas off though so nothing happened. It seems like if what they say is true then she can prove they stole her story even if it doesn't really seem all that much like The Matrix.

Asta!!

It ain't goodbye, it's see ya later! I'll miss you guys! - Asta!!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73