View Single Post
Old 02-11-2005, 11:39 AM   #23 (permalink)
KMA-628
....is off his meds...you were warned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtherton
If that is the role you wish to play, it seems kind've half assed. I don't believe that signing a check amounts to healthy democratic participation. I think it would be better if all one could donate was time. We all have the same amount of time, we don't all have the same amount of money.
That is awful elitist of you to decide the best role others should fill in the political process.

And, no, we all don't have the same amount of time. I run a small company, take care of my three young kids and have gone back to school. For me, giving money to the candidate/party of my choosing is a better use of my resources.

It is about choice. In your effort to "make things better" you want to limit my choice. It is not up to you to decide what is a half-assed action on my part. It is up to you to play the role you want to fill. You have absolutely no right to tell me what I can and can't do, nor do you have the right to condemn the actions I choose of my own free will.

Quote:
Isn't that a problem nowadays anyway? Can you tell me off the top of your head what the names of the 3rd party candidates involved in the presidential election last year? Didn't think so. Besides, the media is currently almost completely in charge of disseminating information on political candidates as far as the average person is concerned.
You know what they say about assuming, right? Just pull the "u" out of the saying and it will fit right in here.

Now, is media the problem here or is it the political parties as mentioned by C4?

Quote:
I'll give you a better analogy: U.S. presidency- did the best person win? Nope. Because out of what we were offered by the current two party system each candidate was weak. John Kerry? Douchebag. George Bush? Douchebag. Any presidential candidate who will ever be nominated by the republicans or democrats? Probably a douchebag. There was no ideal candidate, the people were given the choice between salisbury steak with peas or salisbury steak with corn. The two party system is broken. Our representative democracy is going down the shithole because the power structure is stagnant. The media already clamors for the candidate likely to give them the best ratings. If you don't think that's a problem now, than i don't see how you could see it as a problem under different conditions.
You missed the analogy.

We were talking about elections where anyone that can enter does. California was a good example of the kind of chaos that ensues in that type of scenario.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62