View Single Post
Old 02-09-2005, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
tmyers677
Upright

Your thoughts wanted here.

Alright, I wrote the following as a post on my xanga as a way to express my frustrations and I want some comments on it. I realize its probably not grammatically sound or anything but I think the content is good. I would like some opinion, especially if you don't agree. If you do agree feel free to respond, its just that I am really interested in hearing the other side. Here it is:

Alright... I am very disapointed with the united states, but more specifically the state of kansas at the moment. It baffles me that as much as we pride ourselves on being a free country we are trying to take away peoples rights. If you haven't guessed by now, I am talking about gay marriage. On April 5th there will be a vote on whether kansas should add an amendment to the state constitution defining marriage as between a man and a women. Now, given the polictical makeup of the state, it will pass. Sad Sad Sad.

Someone once told me, i think it might have been mr. zuck, my 11th grade english teacher, that "if you can't understand why someone could hold an opinion on something, then you don't really understand their opinion." So i guess i don't understand their opinion. I know a lot of it has to do with religion, (imaging religion causing problems in the world, who would have thought religion could do that, again). But i can understand why most religious people don't approve of gay marriage, it does go against most religious teachings so that makes sense. I'm all for churches not doing gay marriages. They can do whatever the hell they want.

But i don't understand how the government thinks it has the power to decide what a marriage should be. The government has no right to take away anyones right to be married. I don't understand how the government trying to do that is anything but discrimination. We have come so far in this country towards treating everyone as equals, although we are nowhere close to being perfect, that it is sickening to think about what a huge step back this is.

Here is what i think should happen: I think that the government ought to completely drop the term marriage, and replace it with civil union, or something along those lines. This way marriage remains a "sacred" ritual that the different religions can set there own standards for. The civil union would then become basically what non religious people do when they want to get "married". It would basically be signing a contract which entitles them to certain benefits. There would be no difference in the legal status of the "married" and the "civil union(ed)" and therefore the government would not be discriminating.

As i said earlier i don't understand the other side of this debate, so if you are on the other side please explain it to me.

I mean no offense by this post, just putting my opinion out there for you all to hear.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62