Thread: NBA Chatter
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2005, 09:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
Cross-Over
Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchen
do you think they have a solid shot at a playoff spot givin that their division is complete ass?
I know this question is old, and the Raptors have since cooled down, but yes, they have a solid shot at a playoff spot. They do because the Eastern Conference is not solid. They are only a couple games out, and you make a good point about the weakness of divisions. With the new and horrible seeding system, the Boston Celtics currently are the #3 seed in the East with a record under .500, while the Sixers are a half a game behind them, but in the #8 spot. This new format, coupled with moving New Orleans to the West (geographically, Minnesota could be an Eastern Conference team, yet you know that wont happen), were stupid moves by the NBA.

The Cavs play well, but the fact is the talent on that team is average. They are well coached, and led by greatness. I hope they can sign Redd, he is a good ball player. A great touch and clutch ability, hard to come by in the NBA. James stuns me, and I have to sit back and tell myself to make time to watch any of his televised games. Just like I would if I was able to watch Magic, Bird, Jabbar, Russell, and many others in their prime.
Gooden is the same age, and is putting up arguably better numbers than Boozer this year. Plus he is a lot cheaper, hindsight is 20/20.

Deng indeed is impressive, and that is why I was upset when Washington traded the number 5 pick that could have landed him. Jamison has helped turn Washington into a playoff team, so in theory I was wrong, but I really like Deng's game.

Additional thoughts:

Bobby Sura is not a natural point guard, but he is a darn good basketball player. Injuries hampered him earlier in his career, and it is a shame that at age 31 he finally is able to show his ability in Atlanta and now Houston. He handles the ball, rebounds, scores, and defends well. A poor man's Jason Kidd.

Orlando stated that defense was the reason they traded away Mobley. Figuring they wouldn't be able to resign him (an accurate assumption), they thought Christie was an upgrade at defense. Maybe so, but only slightly. Christie isn't the on-the-ball All NBA defender of a couple years ago, and Mobley is an underrated defender. He did a good job on Kobe in last years playoffs, which is the ultimate 1 on 1 defensive challenge.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62