View Single Post
Old 01-27-2005, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
reiii
unstuck in time

here is what I plan to submit, I am staying away from the obvious offenses of the article and went with a different prospective

Shades of grey in the black and white abortion debate

More than 10% of the world’s babies died last year.10% is the rate of known pregnancies that are spontaneously aborted, as reported by the government funded online medical encyclopedia found at http://www.nlm.nih.gov/. This number of course is a gross underestimation of the true extent of the devastation. The same source reports that an estimated 50% percent of fertilizations are spontaneously aborted before the mother is aware that she is pregnant. People who believe life begins at the moment of conception or the beginning of pregnancy need to break out the black, because they have a lot of mourning to do.
Natural abortion aside, let’s examine another infant killer, this one engineered entirely by man. IVF or In vitro fertilization is a process by which women with fertility problems are able to conceive. IVF requires participants to ‘superovulate’ with the aid of drugs. Superovulation allows women to produce multiple viable eggs, which are removed surgically and fertilized in a test tube by a donor’s semen. Fertilization occurs in the confines of a test-tube or Petri dish. These test-tube babies face a dark and treacherous future, it is estimated that 90% of these fertilized pre-embryos will be terminated or frozen for later attempts. In virtually every procedure, at least some fertilized embryos are lost. Information on IVF can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IVF. 115,000 of these procedures have occurred in the United States.
We need to take a hard long look at when life begins before we can formulate arguments that do not lead us to hypocrisy. I will consider it a sad day when ‘pro-life’ protesters show up at the door of a fertility clinic, which is trying desperately to allow women to create the very life the protesters are trying to protect. This hypothetical makes my head spin. Clearly lines do need to be drawn, as ridiculous as I consider the notion that life begins when gametes are united, it is ludicrous to consider a baby an hour before delivery to be any less complete than the same infant two hours later when he is a kicking crying newborn. The question of when we treat potential life as life will not be resolved easily; I’m not offering any solutions. All I ask is that people cut back on the rhetoric which is subverting attempts to sift through the grey and come up with a solution we can agree on.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54