View Single Post
Old 01-25-2005, 12:30 PM   #34 (permalink)
Squishor
Frontal Lobe

I've lived a lot of different places, so I've had a lot of bad neighbors.

In the 80s I lived in an old converted carriage house with some apartments next door. There was a lady with kids living upstairs, and she was really unreasonable and trashy, yelling at the kids while hubby watched the superbowl at full volume and threw beer cans over the railing.

The problem came about when my cat started pooping in the little sandbox in their yard. She came over and complained about it, and I went over and cleaned up the catshit, even though the thing was also full of old tin cans and other garbage. Plus it was also full of poop from every other cat in the neighborhood, which wasn't really fair for me to have to clean up. I did oblige her, however, since she insisted that my cat "Lumpy," a little grey Manx, was the primary culprit.

Well, pretty soon she was over at my place several times a day demanding that I clean out the sandbox, and I started to have a problem with it. It didn't matter if I was busy or even sleeping in bed, there she was banging on the door yelling about it. We had words over it, and at that point I realized exactly what I was dealing with, because she demanded that I tell my cat to stay out of her sandbox. I tried to reason with her and explain that I couldn't "tell my cat" to do anything, really, but she wouldn't accept that and told me I was evil because I was trying to poison her kids by having my cat poop in their yard. Things really soured after this point, as I didn't see the point of dealing with a lunatic.

About a week after that conversation, little Lumpy didn't come home one day. I wandered around looking for her and calling her name for days, but I couldn't find her. She was missing for over a week. Finally one day I happened to look over in the neighbor's yard and noticed a board propped against the bottom of the building where it had never been before. I walked over and saw that it was wedged up against the building in such a way as to block the vent hole leading under the building. On a hunch I called, "Lumpy?" and heard a thin, pitiful mewing from behind the board. I moved the board - it was really wedged in there - and pulled little Lumpy out, and she was all skinny and miserable, after having been under the house for nearly two weeks! I never had any proof that my neighbor shut her under there, but the conclusion is obvious. Luckily Lumpy recovered.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73