View Single Post
Old 01-24-2005, 12:00 PM   #35 (permalink)
Lebell
Cracking the Whip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakk
I'm glad you hold someone responsible for making a movie, and someone invading another nation, to the same standard.

They day Moore is president of the USA and releases his documentaries as official government positions, then proceeds to implement them, is a day you must fear!
I've already addressed that above.

Quote:

Moore introduced the section with Heston's most famous soundbite.
That's a laugh.

Yeah, I know that's how Mike defends himself on his website, but don't you think it abit odd that Moore never give any indication that he is "introducing" the speech?

No, instead he strings it in with the other sound bites using the same cut away editing technique he uses in the rest of the segment.

But hey, it's not Mike's fault if the viewer doesn't know that Mike is introducing Heston's speech with another snippit a year removed, and it's not Mike's fault if the viewer doesn't notice that Heston is wearing a different shirt and tie, and it's certainly not Mike's fault if the viewer assumes that a bunch of clips strung together in a sequential order, all separated by cutaways aren't actually the SAME SPEECH.

You know, this type of oblique "not my fault if you got the wrong impression" lying is almost worse than an out an out lie, becuase it smacks so much of underhanded subtrafuge.

Or maybe Moore is just relying on all the "Stupid White Men" out there to get the wrong idea from his films.

Quote:
Moore then strung together the most offensive parts of the speech given. Where did Moore make Heston mean something that Heston didn't mean?

As far as I could tell, at worst, Moore changed the tone of the speech, by removing mollifying content.
Oh yeah, nice understatement.

How much snipping is required before the speech becomes something that wasn't given? Two lines? A dozen? HALF??

Mikey again tries to defend himself by saying that the original speech is far worse than the snippits he took, when the reality is that the full speech is actually respectful in its disagreement with Hizzonor, Wellington Webb (someone I've met, btw).

Quote:

When has carrying concealed handguns legally defended freedom of speech? It looks like you are using the "wrap yourself in the flag" arguement.
Huh? Where does this come from?

Quote:
Do you think pro-gun registration activists want to prevent the military from carrying guns?
Again, Huh?

Are you intentionally trying to put silly statements and words in my mouth?

Are you secretly Michael Moore???

[edit; yeah, I see the mispellings, don't care to correct them at this point...]
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." – C. S. Lewis

The ONLY sponsors we have are YOU!

Please Donate!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54