View Single Post
Old 01-23-2005, 12:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lebell
Cracking the Whip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manx
If someone spins the truth it does not mean all of his arguments and positions are void. I know you would like to summarily dismiss Moore and therefore you attempt to pinpoint a handful of cases where information has been distorted to do so. But an instance of distortion does not even come close to making all of his arguments and positions void.
Glad to know that, because that is what many have been saying about Bush and the war in Iraq.

Also glad to see that you are admitting that Moore resorts to distortions when it suits him.

Of course there are substantially more than "a handful of cases".

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachboy
round and round it goes:

but it is just dandy is an administration markets an entire war on false pretenses across the medium of television.

so the conclusion i get from this kind of thread is--in conservativeland, anything goes from the right. they right can say and do and act as it wants and its supporters will go along without question.
when it comes to criticque, however, the opposite it the case: nothing can be true because everything critical is a lie lie lie.
I don't recall that this thread was about anything but Michael Moore, but since you feel compelled to bring in Bush, the war and everything else "in conservativeland", I'll make a bold assumption and say that either a) you only support distortion and spin when it is on the left or b) you support spin and are calling the right hypocrites because they only point out distortion and spin on the left.

If it is b), I agree that it is hypocritical to only point out spin on one side, but of course, I am not "a conservative" or "liberal".

As to the "lie lie lie", the actual lie was clearly pointed out. Or are you still denying that Moore purposefullly edited those snips to make a speech Heston didn't give?

Quote:
quite the paragon of a democratic mode of interacting with information, arriving at informed decisions, participating in meaningful debate. no wonder most of you enjoy the more authoritarian elements of bushworld.
Oh, I guess discussing MM's journalistic integrity isn't "meaningful debate" whereas your post is?

To me it is of fundamental importance to get accurate FACTS when attemping to to arrive at "informed decisions.

Quote:
but wait-----you are free as individuals, no matter how unable to think critically you might be, because you have guns.
yes, in a pseudo-democracy american-style, in which everything is a commodity, what guarantees your "freedom" is possession of the magic commodity, a gun.

this american-style "freedom" has everything to do with fetishism.
Well.

I've seen it argued repeatedly that BFC isn't about guns and I wish to point out, neither was my post, but you seem determined to bring them into it (must be connected somehow to "conservativeland".)

So be it.

Whether you like it or not, guns have been used to defend your right to say what you want and live how you like many times, including in the fine city of Philidelphia, home to the Continental Congress and many sons of liberty who shed their blood to secure your "rights".

While you might not agree to the current action, it ignores centuries of history to sneer at those who have taken up a gun to defend themselves and their country.

It is also extremely offensive as well.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." – C. S. Lewis

The ONLY sponsors we have are YOU!

Please Donate!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62