View Single Post
Old 01-19-2005, 10:18 PM   #29 (permalink)
Sion
Dumb all over...a little ugly on the side

Location: In the room where the giant fire puffer works, and the torture never stops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanmarsh
BTW, why do people keep harping on regular season match-ups? This is the playoffs, people. A game in October has no bearing on Sunday's game -- talk to Peyton and Colts about the regular season games and stats.
I can only speak for myself, but I bring it up simply to point out that the Steelers were able to do it once (and in a VERY convincing fashion) which suggests that it can be done again.

here are the reasons why I expect the Steelers to win this game.

1. Home field advantage
2. Ben Roethlisberger (yeah, I know he stunk up the joint against the Jets. And thats EXACTLY why I expect him to play well against NE.)
3. Dick LeBeau: defensive coordinator extraordinaire.
4. The backup factor: the Steelers and the Pats have both had numerous injuries to key personnel throughout the season. and in each case, the backups have stepped up and played phenominally. but Pittsburgh's have been more impressive, IMHO.
5. Matchups: the on-field matchups favor the Steelers. To wit:

Pitt Oline vs NE front 7 - advantage Steelers
NE Oline vs Pitt front 7 - advantage Steelers (slight)
Pitt passing game vs NE secondary - advantage Steelers
NE passing game vs Pitt secondary - even or slight advantage NE

6. The coaching matchup favors NE. No one in his/her right mind disputes this. However, I think that, despite this, it is Cowher's time to shine. I've been all over his ass the past 5 years, but even I have to admit he's done a damned good job this year. I think he just might have learned enough to get over the hump. If events prove me wrong, then it will just further cement my opinion of Cowher as the perfect example of the Peter Principle.
7. The X factor: typically, a Cowher coached playoff team comes out and annihilates the first opponent it sees, then lays an egg the next game. Looks like a reverse situation this year. They sucked rocks vs the Jets and won anyway. NE "could" be in for a LONG afternoon.
8. The revenge/disrespect factor. Despite finishing the regular season with the BEST record in the entire NFL, despite having TROUNCED both the Pats and Eagles in back to back weekends earlier in the season, despite having home field advantage (where they are undefeated this season) and despite the fact that they have the BEST defense in the league, Pittsburgh is a 3 pint underdog to the Pats and 95% of all the media pundits are predicting a NE victory. Think that wouldnt put a burr under YOUR saddle? I know it would mine and I guarantee it has to the Steelers.
9. There are ways to beat the Patriots at their own game and Pittsburgh has assembled a team that can and has been doing it all season. Those ways are: run well, defend the run well, eat the clock, harass the QB.
10. Finally, and most importantly: because the football GODS owe me this one, DAMMIT!

I jus' want ta thank you...falettinme...be mice elf...agin...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62