View Single Post
Old 12-18-2004, 11:09 AM   #25 (permalink)
Pacifier
undead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTelevision
What I’m trying to do here is to open up a constructive dialog. IMO, consciousness and intelligence are not adequately addressed by current science.
Why should it?
There is no evidence and no need for a form of "intelligence" in the universe. People are gererally surprised by the comlexety and beauty of physics and the universe, bat that still is no evidence for intelligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTelevision
I see intelligence as an integral aspect of the universe. It is an active agent in that there is no way we can be sure that what we refer to, perceive, and measure is anything other than a function of our capacity to intelligently structure and order experience. It is not clear we can objectively measure anything, even with our instruments of measurement. This epistemological/ontological statement reflects current interpretations of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, as well as implications and interpretations of the Anthropic Principle that borrows from Vedic and Buddhist traditions as well as some western philosophical principles.

It is also not clear to me that intelligence is simply an end point achieved when matter reaches a certain degree of complexity. If intelligence is an integral aspect of the universe, as witnessed by its presence within it, it may serve as an integral ordering and structuring force in the most simple forms of matter and energy. For something to "appear" it must be present in some quantity and quality in the initial state. This is how I see it
Sorry, but all that sounds like the usual esoteric gibberish to me.

Why do you thinks that there is the need for some "ordering and structuring force"?
There is a need for a more precisely definition of what you mean with "intelligence"
"It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously. I also cannot imagine some will or goal outside the human sphere. Science has been charged with undermining morality, but the charge is unjust. A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death
— Albert Einstein

Last edited by Pacifier; 12-18-2004 at 11:15 AM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73