View Single Post
Old 12-13-2004, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
pan6467
Lennonite Priest

Ha Ha King George loses but NY still wins.......

Looks as though the Mets took Pedro. They have a damn good starting rotation now. Pedro's going to be way overpaid, but damn... the Mets are going to put Atlanta in some hard times. So long Philly and Jim "I wanna play for a contender and Cleve. just isn't" Thome...... ahhhhh

Wonder if King George is pissed yet and who the next hasbeen/never was he'll sign to try to keep up with Wilpon and Doubleday's Mets.

na na na na hey hey hey good bye Yankees

==================================================

Pedro Martinez picks Mets over Red Sox
12/13/2004, 7:03 p.m. ET
By RONALD BLUM
The Associated Press

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) — Pedro Martinez closed in on a four-year deal with the New York Mets, and the Boston Red Sox resigned themselves Monday to losing the three-time Cy Young Award winner.

"He was a great member of the Red Sox team for seven years, and a certain Hall of Famer," Red Sox president Larry Lucchino told The Associated Press in an e-mail. "He will be missed, and we are disappointed to have lost him to the Mets and the National League."

Martinez's agent, Fernando Cuza, told the Mets he would attempt to work out a deal with them after New York guaranteed a fourth year, a person involved in the talks said on condition of anonymity.

Mets general manager Omar Minaya expressed confidence about the negotiations with Martinez, but wouldn't detail the discussions.

"The good news is that we're still in dialogue," Minaya said. "Every day that goes by and we are having dialogue is a good day."

Minaya then left baseball's winter meetings and returned to New York, and the sides will work by telephone to finalize the contract language.

Martinez helped pitch Boston to its first World Series title since 1918, but Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said he refused to increase the team's offer in the past two days.

Martinez, 33, also must pass a physical before the Mets complete the deal.

New York initially offered a $37.5 million, three-year contract with a $12.5 million team option for 2008.

Boston's final proposal was a $30.5 million, three-year deal that contained a club option for 2008, a baseball official said, also on condition of anonymity. The Mets' offer was thought to be for $56 million over four years, the official said.

"We put our best foot forward and made an offer that makes sense to the club," Epstein said. "We think it's a fair and generous offer."

•__

AP Sports Writers Jimmy Golen and Mike Fitzpatrick contributed to this report

link: http://www.cleveland.com/sportsflash...ylist=baseball
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54