View Single Post
Old 12-11-2004, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
pan6467
Lennonite Priest

Personally, I feel if you are just starting out you should buy like a Northwestern set or whatever at Wal*Mart for $200 or less.

I have played golf for a very long time and I have seen people come out with these really expensive "good" clubs and play like shit, they then get upset because they thought the clubs would help their game. They don't, they just advertise to serious golfers you have money but don't know how to play the game.

I started out renting then when I bought I went with the Dunlop starter set and told myself I wouldn't buy a new set until I played well consistently. It made me play better because I had a true reason to play harder.

I eventually added a wedge and good putter and driver, all I bought used for like $10. Then when I was consistant I bought an expensive set and they did help my game a little, not that much but a little.

I have seen too many people go out buy a set of clubs for more than they could truly afford, start playing and realize that even with clubs, that supposedly "helped them play better", they weren't good and they gave up. They still have the clubs but they never get used. The expensive sets are sometimes marketed to the new golfer, but they are made to be used by players that are consistant and decent. Otherwise, they can have a very negative feel and affect your game in a bad way.

I just think before you sink money into a Calloway, or Ping or an expensive set, make sure you truly can afford them, make sure you will get use out of them and make sure you truly love golf enough to understand the clubs do not help your game that much when you first start, if anything they hinder your game when you are just starting.
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54