View Single Post
Old 12-03-2004, 05:59 AM   #34 (permalink)
raeanna74
I'm not a blonde! I'm knot! I'm knot! I'm knot!

Just in case you only viewed the clips and didn't happen to catch what they said on their site. They said “The purpose of the PSAs is to shine a light on domestic abuse by putting domestic violence situations in public places where it would not be tolerated.”

I can see their point of view. I agree with those who suggest that the abuser isn't the best target audience. I think the victim should be the target audience. I think it might be better if they had their number at the bottom of the screen the whole time. Give someone a chance to get a pen and write it down. The few seconds that the number is shown at the end I was still recovering from the shock and it didn't even register right away.

As for children viewing it. My gut reaction is - no - they shouldn't view this. Then a thought about it again. Putting my own daughter there to watch it - I think it'd be ok. Yes she is only 4 and yes violence makes her sit up and take notice. She's walked into the livingroom while hubby's watching a movie and she's been playing elseware. She happens to see a fight or something and she automatically turns to me. "What's happening? Why is he doing that?" It gives me a chance to explain. "It's just pretend, it's a movie." "He's trying to steal. That's wrong..." or something of the kind. If she were to see this I could guarantee she'd ask me questions. In her home she doesn't have to view that but as she grows older, who knows but she may have a friend eventually who is in an abusive home situation. She can know what her friend is going through or seeing and she can help that friend. I doubt highly it would give her nightmares. She trusts me to explain things and to help her understand that while this doesn't happen to her, it does happen to others and she needs to do what she can, if she ever hears of this kind of thing, to tell someone who can stop it. I don't think I'd get too worried about her seeing it. Children have an amazing capacity for understanding and compassion. I think it could arm her to dealing with this in the future.

Just one more note. In elementary school I had a friend who lived in an abusive home. When she came to school with a black eye and I found out who'd done it I had no idea what to do or how to respond. I think if I'd known what abuse was at the time I could have been more of a comfort to my friend. As it was I ended up avoiding her the rest of the day. I regret that. I'd like to think that teaching my daughter about this kind of thing could help her help someone else in a way I failed.

Last edited by raeanna74; 12-03-2004 at 06:04 AM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73