View Single Post
Old 12-01-2004, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
aurigus
Insane

Problem With The Devil Cat

So we have a problem - and are out of ideas. Looking to the wise folks of the TFP for some advice!

We "adopted" a cat when he was a kitten 2 years ago from the SPCA. He always playfully bit us no matter how we trained him. We tried a spray bottle, hitting him on the nose when he bit, sticking our finger down his throat when he bit (this is supposed to train them not to do this), yelling, etc etc but nothing worked; so we just lived with it. He bites fairly hard, I dont think he is trying to injure but he sometimes draws blood.

We got a second cat maybe a year and a half ago, she is no problem - the nicest cat, doesn't bite or anything. So we don't believe it was caused by our upbringing, we think it either was something that happened to him before we got him or it is just by nature.

We have tried every thing we have heard of to try to cure him of his biting. Absolutely nothing has worked.

Anyway, we are completely fed up with the way this cat is acting. He just totally bit my wife when she wasn't even petting him at all. We are really worried because whenever we have company he will try to bite them even if they are leaving him alone. He hisses at kids, we are scared one of these days that he will bite or hurt one. We are also trying to get pregnant so us having a baby would definately neccessitate us getting rid of him, even if we arent at that point yet. There is no way we would allow him to be around a baby.

So here is the issue; we can't figure out a humane way to get rid of him. Here are the options that we've come up with, and reasons why they don't work.

- Just put the cat outside and turn him into an outdoor cat - Problem is that our landlord lives nextdoor and hates cats and specifically said she didnt want an outdoor cat. They have chickens and the cat would probably end up killing them.

- Give the cat away - Problem is everyone we know knows this is the cat from hell and noone wants it. We couldn't imagine anyone that would meet him would want him, when we take him to the vet they have to wear these heavy gloves to prevent themselves from getting bitten.

- Give the cat to SPCA - 2 problems, noone would adopt the cat since he is so mean, and they would end up killing him; second is that I understand the SPCA puts you on some sort of blacklist if you adopt a cat from them and return it.

- Leave the cat out on some farm - Problem is if it is returned to the SPCA it has a tag implanted under its skin so they can tell who's it is.

It's a weird situation, we have some sort of affection for him and wouldnt want him killed, but at the same time we no longer welcome him in our house. I joked to my wife that I could just smother him or something but we could never do anything like that.

So... any ideas?! Are we just making this more complicated than it really is?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73