View Single Post
Old 11-07-2004, 08:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
fibber
Tilted

The Questions of Right/Wrong

As someone who voted for a third party candidate, I'm really put off by the "Right Choice, Wrong Choice" stuff.

In the past I would most often vote republican, but I've felt they've lost sight of their small government roots, as this is a big selling point for me, if not the biggest, I rarely give them the nod anymore.

I just couldn't bring myself to vote Kerry/Edwards for 2 reasons. They still scare me off with the size and number of government programs they want, and I never could find any solidity in their platform beyond: They're not Bush and They had "Plans" although admittedly I didn't really bust my ass to search one out.

Which brings me to the crux of why I generally punch myself in the face before I talk politics in that:

1. We didn't vote right or wrong, we voted. The outcome is what it is. The majority of the people who voted, voted for Dubbya and the good ole' EC matched it for once. The record turnout of voters was the best thing to come out of this whole kick in the sack.

2. The infallable tone, that everyone, both sides, me included, takes when it comes time to try and discuss politics.
prej·u·dice: Irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular group, race, or religion.

And before someone snappy chimes in with "My suspicion is not Irrational" lemme stop you 'cause it is. That guy sitting next to you at the bar might support abortion, but he doesn't murder babies. The other guy that thinks we're doing the right thing in Iraq, but he doesn't think any diety came to Bush in a dream and told him to babtise the infidels. I usually bum a smoke 2 or 3 times a week from 2 guys where I work, one a stiff shirt, Mr. Red, and one a cool black shirt, Mr. Blue. They're worried about the same shit. They may think the fix is a bit different, but I would hope that the fact that their concerns are the same would be more important than that their opinions are different. Facts are right and wrong, not opinions. btw neither of them thinks their party has it all right. bonus points.

People want to feel they're included, they matter, and that they're right.
Religion did a fabu job of filling those voids for folks for a long time.
Somehow politics snuck up on us, bit us in the ass and became the new religions. People use terms to describe those who disagree with them like we have our own mini-jihad here in the states.

The zealotry has increased to the point of absurdity. We should tread carefully 'lest we convince people that they either have to believe one way or the other, or not count at all.

Sorry for the rant, maybe the politics forum isn't the best place to knock talking politcs, if not, please have some mod blast this post into smithereens. Doubly sorry for the spelling.
-fibber

Last edited by fibber; 11-07-2004 at 08:05 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73