View Single Post
Old 10-19-2004, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Blistex
Psycho

CD Burner Warrenty

Well I have finally decided that Future Shop must pay! Why do you ask? Because simply put they are in the business of screwing people who don't know any better.

Reason One:

My brother is leaving for university so he decided to get a new PC. Usually I'd make one for him so that he'd save money but I was at school as well far away so no such luck. He decides to get one from Future Shop since they have fairly competative prices and a decent warrenty that would allow him to take it to any shop to get serrviced. He buys the PC and everything is well for 7 months until the CD burner craps out.

He takes the PC to the shop, tells them the problem and they say it will be done in a week. One month later they call him saying his PC is ready. He shows up at the store and they inform him that it will still be another week. Three weeks later he gets his PC back and the burner is still not working. He does the same and three weeks later they return it saying that the burner has been replaced.

The funny thing is that the burner had a tiny little scratch on the face plate that my brother noticed was on the old one. They insure him that they replaced it. He gets home and guess what? It's still not working. At this point he figures that it's that particular store's fault and takes it to another 4 hours away. This time they don't return it until the 2nd day before the warrenty is due. Yep, the burner still doesn't work.

The sad thing is that I have heard this exact same story from 4 other people. It seems that Future Shop likes to do this to students hoping that they will just forget about it, or buy a replacement unit from them.

The truth of the matter at Future Shop is that people who care have no authority, and people with authority don't care. Either way you're screwed!

This is what I did to get even. I go to Future Shop and buy the same brand of Burner that was in my brother's PC, except this time I buy the newest fastest one, with cash. I take it home and swap the internal components (just take out 4 screws) and return the busted one the next day. They open up the package and see a brand new drive that doesn't even have marks on the side from sliding into the tower. I get my money back and walk out. As long as you pay cash and give a phony name you're scott free.

This method can be used to always have the newest brand of Hard Disk, CD/DVD rom, or even RAM. Just buy, switch, and return.

Another thing that is funny and is totally foolproof is this. When you buy a PC from Future shop talk to a salesperson and act like a total retard when it comes to PC's. Get them to sell you the PC you want, and ask for their card if you have any problems. Buy the PC, take it home and remove the CPU, or the Ram, or the Hard Disk, or Video Card. I wouldn't advise more than two. Call that salesperson and tell them that your PC doesn't work. Read them the error on the screen or if you removed the Video card tell him there is no place to plug in the monitor.

After a bit of troubleshooting they will tell you to bring it back in. When they troubleshoot it they will see the missing unit and replace it. Since you've acted like a total moron about PC's they will most likely just assume that the factory forgot a component instead of a scam being pulled on them.

Here is another easy one. Put a screwed component in your PC that is the same brand as the original. When they fix the PC (prepare for a long wait)
they will replace the screwed unit. Make sure it is a unit that will not let the PC boot up or they will keep passing you off like the above story about my brother.

Disclaimer: This is just for fun. Don't do this, I will no be held responsible, there is no spoon.

Last edited by Blistex; 10-19-2004 at 09:01 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73