View Single Post
Old 10-13-2004, 01:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
jb2000
Crazy

Good political music doesn't tell you what to vote for. It shows a perspective on something, ideally in such a way that it makes you think more about an issue and make your own conclusion. It might be pretty slanted, and want to impress upon you a particular perspective, but that doesn't mean that you either have to vote a particular way or that if you aren't of the same persuasion as the artist that it doesn't have anything to offer.

We've gotten to a point where people are far too eager to turn off someone's presentation just because it doesn't jive with a particular world view. I'm not going to stop watching Arnold's movies just because he's a Republican.

If you really just want music for entertainment, and don't want the politics in it, then do like most and choose music to fit your mood. I'm certainly not saying that a-political music can't be good. But if an artist goes to a convention or rally, then it's pretty silly to refuse to listen to their music again.

We seem to be at a point of conflict about where politics are and are not appropriate. Is it appropriate to discuss it at Thanksgiving dinner? Is it appropriate for a business owner to send a political message in the envelopes with the paychecks? Is it appropriate for musicians to be open about their political views? What about members of the military or clergy?

Unfortunately it seems to come down to often to 'it's appropriate until someone voices something I don't like'. It's too often when we don't agree with our boss' note or a singer's lyric, or our brother-in-law's tirade, that we get irate and start claiming how inappropriate for that person to slam you with their views using that platform.

No, most artists aren't poli-sci majors. But they are citizens, and as such, why shouldn't they be actively involved in politics? Why shouldn't each and every one of us be involved? Unlike medicine, politics is not an exclusive club, and it is up to us to make sure that we direct the country appropriately.
'Cause this is our land, we can't close our eyes to the things we don't wanna see."

- DTH

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73