View Single Post
Old 10-02-2004, 09:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
teflonian
Appreciative

I fail to see how you have motivated anyone wpulley.

I finally visited San Francisco's Museum of Modern Art and while I can't say I loved everything there, I did come away with a broader perspective of art. They had a white canvas on display there that had been painted over two or three times in all white. Why is that art? I couldn't tell you from looking at it, but here I am talking about it. I guess that makes it art.

My point, sort of, is that Sue's piece may do nothing for you, that is fine, but what did your repeated criticism of the piece do for sue? You gave nothing constrictive that I could pick from your two posts at all. Challenge you? I think you need to go out and challenge yourself. From what I can tell that is what abstract work is about… more or less. The artist puts something out there that the viewer is free to interpret themselves. Now, it is very likely your art credentials far surpass my own, but again, that is the beauty of art, it is accessible on so many levels from so many different points of view. Because this piece didn't "challenge" you, doesn't mean it didn’t mean more to others who actually had a connection to it and wanted to post a "nice comment" expressing their pleasure with it.

I look at a lot of work on these boards and always appreciate what I see. I rarely think about posting unless I have something more than a standard "nice comment", but that is because I am lazy. Those who do routinely post those nice comments are doing nothing but a service to the artist. Those who take time and do a little more analyzing do a better service, but that is just my opinion. Every artist approaches their public in their own way. I will leave it up to Sue to take what she wants from everyone’s comments and from yours as well wpulley.

Ok, rant over.

I for one do have a connection to this piece and I was going to post even prior to reading err... the other comments on this page. My favorite work of abstract art I have ever been exposed to was in a small showing at a hotel in Las Vegas. I don't know the artist, but he was one of the founders of abstract art. The picture consisted of lots of primary colors, lots of red and yellow and a few black strokes to accent. Surprisingly after looking at the picture for awhile I read the caption which stated that the artist wanted to paint a landscape with no discernable features, but had strokes that could suggest features, to extract emotion from the viewer (or something like that). Well, I basically had that very reaction which was sort of an enlightening experience as I am usually very analytical. That is the beauty of art, I was also able to appreciate the piece for what the artist had intended. I also appreciated it in my standard analytical way, approaching the piece from his historical significance, the process used to create it, and observing other’s reactions to it… I still haven’t gotten around to what I want to say about the Sue’s work… Her piece had much the same effect on me as that other piece. This piece had a calming blissful effect on me with suggestions of flowers and gardens. The red in the right hand side suggests smoke and I had a flash of an old gardener smoking a cigar in a flower garden. Then I read the comments and saw that it was done with Photoshop. I had heard the new version of Photoshop is supposed to provide greater tools for producing better brush strokes, but this is the first time I have been surprised that something was done in Photoshop. That gave me even greater appreciate of her work (as well as for Photoshop).

So, great work Sue! Thanks for challenging me.

Oh, and I take back what I first said, you motivated me to post the longest post I have yet posted on TFP. Thanks wpulley.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62