View Single Post
Old 09-02-2004, 12:16 PM   #72 (permalink)
Mephisto2
Junkie

[QUOTE=Lebell]"pissing off the Iraqis"??

Those of us who are a little older remember well the shock when Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait, not to mention all the other people that maniac killed.

Want me to go down the list of why that man needed to be taken out?
[quote]

There are plenty of reasons. NO ONE is disputing this.

However, the way it was done, the falsehoods that were presented to the public, the implication that he was involved in 9/11, the personal familial animosity affecting national policy.... All these topics are what are pissing people off.

Remember, the world believes in teh UN and multi-lateralism. It doesn't really matter if the US does or not. The fact is, that a unilateral US will piss off other countries because you are working outside accepted standards, international law (to which you are signatories), the United Nations (of which you were founding members and is the child of the League of Nations, itself created by a great American President) and that your approach of "might means right" does not make you any friends.

THAT'S why Bush is damaging US reputation. Continue to stomp around flailing your arms like a big bully if you wish, but it won't make any difference. And don't be surprised when someone sneaks up on you and kicks you in the balls. That's basically what's happened already, eh?

Quote:
And quit playing the "Vietnam" card, because it doesn't apply, and yes, Bush is MUCH closer.
Bush is doing a tough job that won't be accomplished by hand-wringing or half measures.

If anything, Vietnam was lost by attitudes like yours, which prevented Johnson from doing what needed to be done early on.
My God... you don't actually believe that, do you? Witness what the Russians have done in Chechnya. They have bombed that country almost back into the stone age and the rebels still fight. The only way the US could have "won" the Vietnam War would have been by turning it into a sheet of glass. Get real.

Quote:
So thanks, but no thanks. You can keep Kerry, because if he gets in I can totally see another Vietnam as we pull half assed out of Iraq and fail to answer attacks from extremists with the force necessary to destroy them.
At least he fought there. :-) I don't like it when Bush supporters spout bullshit about "their man" being braver, better, bigger... Kerry fought, fought well and was not afraid of his duties.

Bush? erm...

Mr Mephisto

PS - those last comments are kinda cage-rattling. :-) Let's not degenerate into a Bush vs Kerry military experience debate. Even Bush knows when to back off that hot potato...

Last edited by Mephisto2; 09-02-2004 at 12:48 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73