View Single Post
Old 08-31-2004, 01:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
rubicon
Stop. Think. Question.

I'm about ready to stop using Windows and switch full-time to my PowerBook. I've been using OS X for the last year and have learned why Mac people love Macs.

Here's the primary reason why I'm switching: maintenance. I'm tried of Windows Updates every other day for the OS, Media Player, IE, and Office. I can't even get rid of IE or Messenger if I wanted to do - I still need to update.

Second reason why I'm switching: UNIX. I can sit down and start using shell scripting, nmap, tar, gzip, and grep and a slew of UNIX apps without having to install Cygwin or a Linux distro. It's a real industry standard, not industry adopted.

Third reason: this is open for debate, but the future that Gates & Co. is painting scares me. It's Totalitarian. I can only ponder that Longhorn's WinFS isn't for the good of searching metadata, but rather a way to ensure that other systems (Linux, Mac) can't access the data.

Every day I turn on the Mac and it just works - no maintenance. No rebooting. I can wi-fi, plug in, and unplug without lengthy timeouts or annoying warnings or errors. I can use my Mac to do work - not spend time updating and maintaining my system so I can do work later. I think that Windows users are so used to screwing with their systems they don't realize the time spent doing it.

I am a freelance IT consultant and most/all of my clients run Windows networks. I can take my PowerBook and connect in anywhere. I can mount Windows drives. I can run Virtual PC if I need a 100% Windows client. I can run UNIX network diagnostic tools and load up an OS X native version of Photoshop. I can still use my Palm PDA and third-party desktop conduits. Man, it rocks. Compared to Linux, I can have UNIX and retail apps.

I was going to install Linux as a primary machine and then I started finding so much software that I can't run. CrossOver Office has limitations, many of my Palm apps don't exist in Linux versions. Besides, why would I want to run Windows versions of software in Linux? I want it native.

Anyway, I'm turning my XP box into a SuSE server running VMWare for my Windows needs. My PowerBook will go full-time in another month. It should be fun.

I've had great experiences with PC hardware and software, but on the whole, my Mac is easier to operate and more powerful out of the box.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54