View Single Post
Old 08-14-2004, 10:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
pan6467
Lennonite Priest

The link and news release of Dave's Condition:

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,...,00.html?tnews

Kinks' Davies Hobbled by Stroke

by Charlie Amter
Aug 11, 2004, 7:05 AM PT

Dave Davies is working out the kinks after suffering a stroke last month.

The 57-year-old cofounder of the influential British rock band the Kinks collapsed in an elevator June 30 after giving a round of interviews promoting his latest record, Bug, at the London offices of the BBC.

His son, Christian, immediately took the rocker to the hospital, where he remains today.

The guitarist's spokesman, Alan Robinson, says Davies remains in good spirits despite the fact that Davies "is paralyzed on the right hand side of his body." Robinson reassures fans that Davies still retains some feeling and can "still hold a guitar pick."

Robinson says that Davies is "going to need at least another month of hospital treatment." Both Robinson and Christian Davies remain optimistic about the Kinks cofounder's full recovery, though.

"The doctors are confident that with physical therapy, he will recover," says Robinson. In a message on his father's Website (DaveDavies.com) last week, Christian Davies writes, "My dad asked me to post a message as he wishes to let you know he is doing well. He is still in hospital in London after suffering from signs of exhaustion. His doctors have advised him to take a break for a few months. Dave will be taking this time off to focus on healing, writing and plenty of yoga!"

Davies has 15 American tour dates for October listed on the concert Website Pollstar.com, but it seems unlikely he will be able to make a full recovery by this fall.

Davies, along with his brother Ray, started the Kinks in the early 1960s. Their debut single, a cover of Little Richard's "Long Tall Sally" was released in February 1964. But it was the band's third single, "You Really Got Me," that helped the Kinks take their brand of infectious guitar pop to the top of the charts worldwide.

The Kinks were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990, but the band hasn't cracked the Top 20 pop charts in the U.S. since 1983's "Come Dancing," which peaked at number 12 on Billboard's Hot 100.

Davies and his brother were hoping to mount a comeback this year to celebrate the 40th anniversary of "You Really Got Me."

This has been a particularly rough year for the Davies brothers. Ray Davies was shot in the leg by a New Orleans mugger in January.

Indeed, Dave Davies is the latest musician over 50 to suffer serious either brain or cardiovascular problems in recent weeks. On the same day Davies had his stroke, David Bowie, 57, canceled his European tour due to heart-related problems. Isley Brother Ron Isley, 63, also had a minor stroke last month while overseas. And in the past week, former Eagles bassist Randy Meisner, 58, and the Oak Ridge Boys' William Lee Golden, 65, have also suffered heart-related ailments.
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73