View Single Post
Old 08-14-2004, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
pan6467
Lennonite Priest

Another Great in Bad Shape

Many of you I'm sure know how much I love the KINKS. This year has been very bad for the brothers Davies. Ray was shot in the leg in Jan. trying to stop a mugger from taking his (Ray's) lady friend's purse.

But in July Dave Davies suffered a stroke. While the news is shocking they say he'll recover.

I ask those who are musical afficianadoes and spiritual to please include Dave and Ray in your prayers and let them know they have fans that love their work.

I also ask, if any of you have memories of a KINKS song to please share them so that we can share some happy moments that their music inspired.

Me? I'll never forget seeing the KINKS in concert in '94. They were pretty much delegated to playing small venues and had been touring with Aimee Mann (wonder where she is now?). But this was Columbus and Aimee Mann cancelled, many of the college students who had tickets then proceeded to ask for their money back and quite a few did not even know who the KINKS were.

Despite an audience of perhaps less than 500 and a lousy, local, opening band that filled in for Aimee Mann, they played with much energy for close to 2 hours.

(WIthin that year, I had seen McCartney, Floyd, Stewart, Joel and a few others but none as great as the KINKS)

Ray being the great frontman made a joke about the Beck's beer he was drinking, claiming he deserved better beer like Stroh's or Old Milwaukee.

After the show I went around to the back and had a concert T signed by Ray (still have it and it is among my most prized possessions). He was alone when he came out and graciously signed everything everyone had and talked to as many as possible. Ray had made my day.

Last year I saw Dave solo for the second time. The concert was in Cleveland's Beachland Ballroom and was as great as any concert I had ever been to. After the show Dave signed his solo "BUG" CD for me and a Beachland Ballroom poster.

Dave has always been accesible to his fans on his website, but at the concert last year he was accesible to all fans and made new ones.

A few of us went out to eat after the concert and as we recieved our food Dave's band walked in and sat by us. It was one of the greatest memories I shall ever have. His band was absolutely great, even though his drummer, Jim Laspesa, stole fries from the lovely Sharon's plate.

It is for these times and the many other great memories I have of the KINKS and the Brothers Davies that I shall forever cherish and why I keep them in my meditations.

"God Save the KINKS" was a 60's and 70's slogan, and at times they truly needed something to save them. They definately need their fan's love today though and what better way to show it than to post fond memories and what they mean to you.

May your God be with you always and thank you for reading my ramblings,

Phil
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73