View Single Post
Old 07-23-2004, 08:58 AM   #31 (permalink)
ubertuber
spudly

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill O'Rights
Highly, highly, highly inappropriate.
The thing is, and she is probably too much of a zealot to understand this, but she is alienating a large segment of the population that may very well support her views and idealogy, but are turned off by her actions.
I think the wonderful thing about American and NY is that she can go there and do this. That said, Bill nailed it by pointing out that her screaming (not her message) is probably alienating potential converts. I've been down there (living in NY and all) and it is a powerful experience, even with the merchandising along the street corner. (roachboy, I'd say that the hawking of wares isn't a sign of a lack of respect - it is a reflection of the strange commercial fetish that materialism has brought to Americans. They buy those plastic models of the WTC and the FDNY hats because that ownership speaks to them as a kind of remembrance. I'm with you in thinking that it seems crude, but the fact that those guys make money buy selling their wares shows that buying is part of the ritual for visitors). It is also a somber place - people don't act like New Yorkers. There isn't a lot of yelling, not a lot of pushing. People go there to reflect. Knowing that, it is not an appropriate place to SCREAM.

Silent_jay, I don't know where you got your hard-on about Americans and free speech. I may be reading into your posts, but it seems that you think our system is hypocritical. I say that it is not. If Matthew330 slapped that women, it would be an open and shut case of assault. She's got freedom of speech, even if she exercises it in an unpleasant way. He's got the freedom to walk on the other side of the street for 10 feet.

That said, freedom of speech is an important value in America, but so is taking responsibility for your actions. That is what was meant by the Supreme Court ruling that you can have freedom of speech, but not yell fire in a crowded theater. Go ahead, yell fire - if there is one, you'll be a hero and I promise there will be no negative repercussions. If there isn't, you should bear the responsibility for your actions. 9/11 is the same way, with a lot more emotional charge. You can say whatever you want - where you please as long as it doesn't abridge the rights of others. Matthew330's reaction to this is not proof that we don't believe in that right, but proof that we do. The right to free speech is important when that speech annoys others or goes against the status quo. However, that annoyance, or even complaints about the speakers message or methods are a vindication of that right, not an abridgement - because that possibly-crazy lady is still on the corner yelling.

Last edited by ubertuber; 07-23-2004 at 09:01 AM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54