View Single Post
Old 07-08-2004, 10:24 AM   #21 (permalink)
Charlatan
Getting it.

Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally posted by j8ear
That sponsorship scandal thing looks like something every freaking 'party' does. Condit did it for a re-election campaign he was gauranteed to loose.
I agree this is generally what every party does... however, the Liberals have held power for many years, in a majority position (being in a majority means you can literally ignore the opposition and are only held accountable on the day of the election).

Quote:
Is it true that everyone has automatic free health care? Are there limits to this? What is the quality of the health care system?
Health Care is *not* free but it is universal. We pay for it with increased taxes and in some cases "premiums". Health Care is a provincial matter and as a result the costs and the services vary slightly from province to province. Depending on who you speak to the health system is in a shambles or works OK.

The issues most people have with it are wait times, the cost of running the system, etc. When it comes down to it, efficencies. This can be dealt with by better management (IMO).

Some are pushing for increased privatization or a "two-tier" system. In this case, if you have the $$ to pay for an MRI scan, for example, you would be able to go to a private clinic and get one on your dime.

Those who are against believe this will just further deteriorate the existing public system.

Quote:
Is it also true that most people keep 45 cents on the dollar, paying 55% percent in taxes? And paying huge GST/PST taxes, sometimes amounting to upwards of 15%?
55% is way to high. Here is a website that lays out the various tax rates. http://www.taxtips.ca/tax_rates.htm#FederalTaxRates

As you can see it changes from Province to Province as there are different Provincial Tax rates and Health Care premiums.

As for GST/PST... yes. In some provinces it can go as high as an additional 15%. The Goods and Services Tax is 7% but some provinces like Alberta pay no provincial sales tax at all.

Quote:
Is the top tax bracket close to 65%?
No. See the link above.

On the whole I don't have a problem with our tax rate. I make about $70,000 to $90,000 a year before taxes and live a relatively comfortable life. I know that if I get sick, I can go to the hospital and not have to worry whether or not I can afford to be treated.

Anytime I've ever been in the hospital the treatment has been great. I have no complaints.

I like the fact that we as Canadians have a strong "social safety net" that we believe in looking after those who are less fortunate. I cringe, like everyone, when I hear of people who abuse the system but believe that those abusers are in the minority.

Quote:
Why can't Montreal hold on to professional sports team? Granted, the Habs, at one time a world class franchise. All that strange and beautiful architecture built for 76? CFL comes and goes, and the 'spos....looks like they're coming down my way. I'll just where my Expos lid upside down -bear
Sorry can't help you on the Montreal questions... probably has to do with the US/Canadian exchange rate (player want to be paid in US$) and a general apathy for baseball.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62