View Single Post
Old 06-29-2004, 04:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Daval
Junkie

Thank you sir, may I have another?

Voters seemed to shrug off the scandal that plagued Paul Martin’s Liberals and decided to give the party another chance on Monday.

The Grits fought their way to a minority government in the national vote, backed by surprisingly strong support in both Ontario and Atlantic Canada.

Martin’s team managed to sweep through Atlantic Canada early in the evening and pushed back into the lead in seat-rich Central Canada.

The Liberals were headed for about 135 seats, down from 176 in the last election in 2000, in the early hours of Tuesday morning, once the last few votes were counted up.

But a minority government would still sting a bit for Martin.

Only months ago the thinking was that he would move easily back into Ottawa’s throne. But the federal sponsorship scandal hurt the Liberals and numerous polls that emerged during the campaign hinted that the Conservatives were on track to get the minority. But Conservative Leader Stephen Harper’s team was on track to get just 99 seats.

“I will admit that I feel some disappointment tonight, but you should feel none…we deprived the Liberals of the majority they thought they were entitled to,” he intoned.

Still, a new Liberal power would be very different from Jean Chretien’s majorities. It would have to depend on the support of the Bloc Quebecois or the N.D.P. to make it through. And that means each little chunk of legislation would have to be negotiated. On Monday night N.D.P. Leader Jack Layton said he expected to hear from Martin soon.

Layton was positively jubilant at his party’s performance. The New Democrats were set to get 19 seats.

“My friends, is this a party on the move or what?!” he yelled. “Parliament is about to get a big dose of new energy, my friends…right across this country tonight, more than twice as many people voted for New Democrats from coast to coast to coast.”

Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe was also excited, after his team made off with 54 of Quebec’s 75 ridings.

But the spotlight really shone the brightest on Martin Monday night, as he admitted that his party had faced a loss, but claimed it was ready to move forward.

“But an election is a time to pass judgment, and the message in this regard was unmistakable. Canadians expected and expect more from us. And as a party and as a government we must do better, and we will, I pledge that to you tonight,” he promised.

Click here for source.

Well, I for one am very dissapointed in the red wave that occured in my home province of Ontario. People bitch and complain about our government, yet we elect them right back in. Albeit a minority government this time, but I think we are clearly sending the message - It's ok for you to lie, cheat and steal - we'll always forgive you.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62