View Single Post
Old 06-23-2004, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
SecretMethod70
Human

Administrator
Heh, I didn't mean to imply that I'm a libertarian, just that I support third parties I'm mostly aligned with libertarianism, but I don't like to label myself because people assume things about what you believe based on that.

I'll try to more directly respond to what I think you're looking for here brianna. One of the reasons I think moving beyond the 2 party system is important is quite simple. It has nothing to do with distrust, or corruption, or any of that. Simply put, the political spectrum is not one-dimensional (i.e. left vs right). I think most people know, intrinsically, that social issues and economic issues are not related. The political spectrum needs to change in popular culture and become more 2-dimensional. An x axis for economic policies and a y axis for social policies if you will. Some people are socially liberal yet economically conservative, others are economically liberal yet sociall conservative, and still others are both on either side.

I remember the second time I travelled to Vienna with my high school orchestra there was an election going on at the time - it was for some high office, I forget what exactly though. There were something like 6 parties - and seeing the graphs almost all of them had a viable chance. I thought this was very interesting then because it really represented the dynamics of political views.

Here in America politics aren't that dynamic - the communist party for example is pretty much meaningless - but I'm quite confident that if people really thought about what THEY felt concerning politics, rather than what they're told to feel, and then VOTED based on THAT and not the person they don't like, American politics would transform into a 3 or 4 party system.

EDIT: Something I forgot to mention. The fact that third parties don't have candidates in every election doesn't bother me in the least. Each election, I'll vote for who I think most represents my views, regardless of that person's party. If an election only has a democrat and republican candidate, I'll vote for the one that I like the most - not the one I dislike the least. If I don't like either of them and there are no other options, I simply won't vote in that race.

It's quite simple. If and when I vote for someone, I'm putting my name behind them. I'm not going to put my name behind someone I don't like just because I don't like the other guy even more.

"Musicians are the carriers and communicators of spirit in the most immediate sense." - Kurt Elling

Last edited by SecretMethod70; 06-23-2004 at 04:29 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73