View Single Post
Old 06-13-2004, 11:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
Amethyst
Addict

[QUOTE]Originally posted by raeanna74
[B]One thing I don't quite understand - IF the girls were planning their mass suicide when they were communicating with the boys then why did they persist in communicating?

Maybe they wanted the guys to try and talk them out of it or they wanted the boys to get there in time to stop them?Maybe they were just lonely and wanted some kind of outside communications with other people.

Did they see hope there?
Maybe, I would hope so.

Had they lost all hope?
I think they did loose all hope. If they hadn't maybe they wouldn't have committed suicide.

If they boys had come sooner would that have changed things?
I don't know I think they had there minds pretty much settled that they were going to kill themselves.

And lastly - Why did they pack a trunk, leading the boys to believe they wanted to leave?
I wondered the same thing. Why did they pack stuff if they were not leaving?

Did they want the boys to find them and be witnesses?
I think they did want the boys to be witnesses. I wondered what would happen if the boys had come a little earlier. They messed around alot outside. They should have gone in right away.

Maybe they were afraid their parents wouldn't tell what had happened if no one actually found them.
I don't think the parents would have told anyone they probably would have just left them in the house.

I found the parallel between the Elm trees and the girls interesting. Here the trees were "denuded" of their branches. The Lisbon family was denuded of it's branches before the parents, the truck of that family tree, finally left. Were the girls protecting their parents in any way as they protected the tree? They never complained to anyone else about their parents. The could have. Cecelia could have explained to the psychologist how smothered the girls were and how confined. Also they tied YELLOW ribbons (a warning color) around the tree instead of red (a final color). Was that a suggestion of maybe saying that it was a last chance for the Lisbon family to come to life again, to come "home."
i found the yellow ribbon to be a big *hello* to everyone in the neighboorhood and no one got it they all just kept to themselves.

I would have also liked to hear more from the sister that lived. How she felt? Why they decided to do it? Why didn't they go more into what had happened to her in the hospital. And what about the exhibits? I looked in the book and there was no exhibits?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73