View Single Post
Old 06-10-2004, 04:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
gondath
Insane

Ok, right off the bat, I am sorry I mentioned what profession I am going into. It's like I invited myself to be flamed. I had a feeling people would be making references to that, instead of providing support for their arguments, but I digress. If you absolutely must make a connection between psychology and the issue of parenting, be informed. Don't say what a psychologist is supposed to do or be unless you have some experience in that area. I'm not trying to shut down debate on this particular point here. I just think it's a bit off topic. I only brought it up to show you why I am so concerned about it and how it might relate to me directly in the future. Truth be told, mentioning it wasn't a point so much as a detail.

Again, I see a comment directed at me without provocation. I don't have anger issues. I am commenting on what I see as unworkable parenting methods. I don't see a relation between my posts and anger. I am trying to keep the tone civil and mellow here.

Let me make a side note here. Psychoanalyzing a person is based on patterns over a LONG period of time, not a few comments or actions. Many people misuse psychological theories to backup their personal beliefs or simply base their assumptions on too short a period of time. Just like you aren't diagnosed as depressed until around 6 months of symptoms, you don't say a person has anger issues after reading three posts on a message board. Anyways, I had to clarify that.

This topic is not a comment on all parents everywhere or all children everywhere. Go back and read ALL of each post here and you will see that. I still have yet to see a complete line of reasonable defenses on why so-called "tough parenting" works, or why there seems to be so much hostility directed at youth. I didn't make an assertion that all parents or all people are wrong. It's not solid rules that are in question here. It's a combination of strict discipline for its own sake, miscommunication, and why some youth never get the benefit of the doubt.

Minor point- I specifically said full time job, not part time. Some students can't continue with their majors and do well while holding full time jobs. The same holds true for high school students. It's really a case by case basis. Don't expect everyone to have the same threshold. Stress affects people differently. Adults who work full time are typically part time students. It's rare to find those who are full time in both. Paying rent should definetely be based on whether the person has a full time job or not. If he can't get one, and he has to pay for everything out of a part time trickle of cash, that rent can be harsh. Maybe he could do work around the house to make up for the lack or just buy food whenever possible. Deals can be worked out.

Let's get back on topic. If you disagree, don't attack. Instead, explain. Tell me why you think the parents who do these sorts of things and make threats are in the right. I've seen a dabbling of it before it gets off topic. Continue the line of discussion.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73