View Single Post
Old 06-08-2004, 07:57 AM   #79 (permalink)
Charlatan
Getting it.

Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally posted by cameroncrazy822
I wouldn't say ignorant, I would say fed-up. We, Americans, are the country that stands up for the little kid at the end of the block who always gets picked on. We get bashed constantly and without shame by countries who really should'nt look a gift horse in the mouth. Canada, with a doubt, gets a free pass on world issues because they really are for all intents and purposes a non-player. It's understood they are the US's little cousin no one should mess with.
When was the last time Canada needed a pass? It isn't like we go around picking fights. There hasn't been a time in history where the US has had to back us up militarily or even flex their muscle so we feel safe. If anything, we are a bit anxious being so close to the American stockpiles.

Canada is a non-player on the world scene? Just because you don't hear about it doesn't mean we are completely absent from world politics. Remember most of your news revolves around your own nation. Canada has been quite influencial in the back rooms because our politicans are not seen as having an agenda. Diplomacy through words rather than weapons... to quote Lester B. Pearson (former Prime Minister and winner of the Nobel Peace Prize) - "Peace Through Understanding."

Quote:
I wouldn't say that Ameriocans have an anti-Candian sentiment just apathy when our northern neighbors are concerned. We, as Americans, get no respect whatsoever when visiting Canada (especially the French provinces), and are frankly fed up with it.
Many French Canadians are that way with ANY maudit anglais (damned English speakers). Don't take it personally.

As for respect, it is a two-way street, no?

Quote:
Obviously Canada will always be safe, as America will defend it's borders at all costs.
What border, the Canadian/US border? Who is going to attack Saskatchewan, ALberta, Manitoba or Ontario? Who would attack the coast of BC or the Maritimes? There is no upside. There is a reason the 49th parallel is the longest undefended border, who'd bother to attack it?

Quote:
Riddle me this Eh? Saddam Hussein is in charge of the super power identified as the US. Would Canada remain sovereign then? Would their incredible sense of self allow them to defend their borders from just about any foreign invader? I think not.
I'm really not sure what you are suggesting here. Are suggesting that if a Mililtary Dictatorship took over the US and wanted to invade Canada that we would just roll over? If you are, well, yes there is little we could do if the US decided to invade. But you could be damn sure that we know where your soft underbelly is and guerrilla warfare is not fun. I can only imagine that any number of nations around the globe, including many Americans, would back us up on that fight.

But let's face it, the US isn't about to go that way is it? Or is it?...

Quote:
All I think we as Amercans are asking for simply is why can't we as the the US get a little credit for buttering Canada's bread. We understand we do it and Candians have to know France isn't doing it. Why cant people north of the border? Food for thought...
Thank you for buttering our bread. Can you pass the Peanut Butter please...

I don't think there is a Canadian that wouldn't agree that as out largest trading partner, the US is responsible for our level of wealth and comfort. However, as pointed out many times above, we ARE you neighbour (France isn't - but I would argue the average Frenchman knows way more about Canada - mostly Quebec - than the average American does about any part of Canada). We share a boarder. We consume endless amounts of your culture (moreso than any other nation). When we do things like take in thousands of your stranded passengers on 9/11 we don't get thanked by your president.

Canadians don't hate American's per se. We just don't want to be taken for granted (clearly you don't think American's do either). Being taken for granted sucks. It builds resentment. This discussion just reflects that.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73