View Single Post
Old 06-05-2004, 07:14 PM   #34 (permalink)
Mondak
Industrialist

Quote:
Originally posted by Rdr4evr
How come when someone dies they become so great? Will Bush be known as a great leader who cared for the people when he dies too? Its just funny that no bad a person did will be remembered when they kick the bucket.
Reagan has been my inspiration and my hero for a very long time. While sometimes people are so afraid to talk bad about the dead that they become saints in death, at least for me, this is not at all the case. At the MondKastle, the flags are flying at half mast and we are reflecting on Ronnie's life right now.

Quote:
Originally posted by User Name
I am from the former Soviet Union, and while I do not remember what life was like there, my parents do, and they say it was best in the early 1980s. Thank you so much, President Reagan, for fucking up the economy of my homeland. Also, seeing as Reagan gets so much credit for breaking up the USSR, perhaps he should be thanked along with Gorbachev for DECREASING THE STANDARD OF LIVING IN HALF. My parents would have never wanted to leave (though they definitely could, to Israel or the US) if the Soviet Union didn't break up and the economy wasn't in ruins.

While trading arms for hostages is pretty reasonable and humane to me, using the profits from those sales to fund armed rebel groups is not. Reagan wanted to eliminate the Sadinistas because any left-wing government, in his eyes, is evil, causing thousands of deaths.

Thank you President Reagan. I'll join you in hell.
As for User Name, you continue to be a thread troll in a clearly inappropriate way. Either way - you are reacting without facts. Here is a thought. The Sandinistas lost power how? When they could no longer hold power through force (bought by the Soviets) there were free elections. Your heros who ran the country were voted out. That's right - it was the evils of free will again.

The Iran-Contra affair questioned the methods used when the administration went outside the normal checks and balances found in our governmental system. What really was not debated was the goal. It came down to another way to pressure the Soviets to commit their scarce resources. It suceeded in that goal acording to the Soviets themselves after the cold was was over.

As far as your heritage. Do some reading and talk to some of your relatives. The standard of living in Russia is what it is because of corruption plain and simple. The very few ruled the very many. Decisions on what was best for your family were being made far away from where you were and after being filtered through many levels of people - all with their hand out taking a portion of the hard work that people were doing. It is no surprise that in the historical short term, the standard of living went into the toilet. Instead of quoting Reagan here - I will go with Ben Franklin:

Quote:
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Were your bread lines a little longer after Communism crashed? Yep. Can you now stand in the street and protest the bread lines without being sent to Siberia? Yep. You decide what is better. There is a lot of corruption still back in your homeland with "private" enterprise being controlled by underworld figures who got their power from the former regime. Maybe you can go back there and help to clean things up someday instead of being a troll and acting in innappropriate ways. This thread is not the first time you have acted this way on the TFP and I think as you mature a little, hopefully you will not be so hateful. I would think that you could learn some lessons from your parents. Sit down and talk to them about their ability to practice their choosen religion and see how their experience compares to today in the United States. I don't even believe in god, but I do believe in the freedoms that allow me to choose when and how to follow my beliefs.

Try and channel the anger you have for others instead toward a search for knowledge and see where that takes you. At the very least, you will have the facts to debate in a knowledgeable manner. Maybe in the process you will find the respect to use the back button when people are mourning or the forsight to bring this up a week or more ago.
Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER (1788-1860)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73