View Single Post
Old 05-28-2004, 07:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
OFKU0
Junk

Quote:
Originally posted by analog
I love this country. America is a great country, with opportunities for all that you just can't get everywhere in the world. I believe we are a nation that is as free as they come.

That doesn't mean I don't think our "elected" representatives- at all levels of government- are doing a good job. Rights have been abridged, personal agendas are made policy, and I believe there are few people in politics who actually, sincerely, carry out the will of those they represent.

And that's sad, because that's SUPPOSED to be what they're there for.

I say "elected", because in today's political realm, no one runs on a platform of, "this is who I am, and what I can do for you"- except maybe in small, local elections. All other positions are filled by special interest groups and corporations, depending on how much money they're willing to throw at a candidate.

Corporations run our government, whether democrat or republican, and if people can't see the facts for themselves, they will remain thinking the government cares about them.

Which, really, they don't.
I totally agree with this statement.

People in general tend to be very forgiving if a politician or government try something and in the end, if it fails, providing a level of honesty and sincerity was attached, are willing at times to move on and try again.

There are times though when entire governments lie, cheat, steal and are so corrupt even those who represent said parties, can do nothing but follow the party line simply in order to save face, at least what is left of it. Hence the vicious cycle of voter apathy.

An excellent example of this is presently occuring in Canada.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54