View Single Post
Old 05-10-2004, 11:05 AM   #22 (permalink)
Peryn
Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by tecoyah
Poverty and poor education are a serious disadvantage in life.
Now the question that arises in my mind. Assuming that minorities do in fact have a poor education and higher poverty levels, as that census data indicates...the question is why? Do you honestly believe they are poor simply because there skin is darker? Maybe in a few extremely rare cases, yes. Are they poor because of a poor education, probably. Do they have a poor education because blacks aren't allowed to attend school, or somebody doesn't allow them to turn in their papers because they have darker skin? I doubt it.

I think the real reason for the poverty levels and poor education is cultural, rather than their visual appearance. As a whole, the black community doesn't stress education very highly. School generally isn't looked upon as something you need to work hard on when you are young. Poor efforts at school is more at fault than a schools poor efforts with the students. Flip this around, and look as the Asian culture. They tend to put a very high stress on education. This of course leads to better job opportunities and a lower poverty level. It is, in fact, barely above that of the "whites". This small difference could easily be attributed to a smaller sample size. A simillar or smaller difference can make a bigger effect on the % if the sample size is smaller. Also, they are grouped in with teh "pacific islanders". Now i dont know as much about their culture, but they dont tend to stress education as much as the Asian culture, at least in my observations. In reality then, the Asian group probably has a much lower poverty percentage than the whites do. So, we have a culture that doesn't put much, if any, stress on education, and they have very high percentage living below the poverty line. And we have a culture that puts a helluva lot of stress on education, that is probably the lowest percentage below the poverty line.

Now which makes more sense, blacks and other minorities are poor because society is out to get them simply because they have a different skin color, or that they are feeling the effects of a cultural indiffernce to education?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73