Thread: Body Piercings
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2004, 04:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
majik_6
narcissist

I won't tell you NOT to pierce yourself, but I would recommend studying a TON more.

I mean, you neglected to mention if you had any sterilization equipment, ring opening/closing pliers, clamps, etc....those are all very important parts of the process. If you're not even sure how to care for a piercing, or what the specific healing times are, jump on a few websites (www.tribalectic.com and www.bmezine.com) and read...not just a little but, but TONS...read about professional techniques, at home experiences, good piercings, bad piercings, EVERYTHING.

I've studied piercing/tattooing in-depth on my own, and I've found that the more I learn, the more I realize I'd be afraid to pierce myself or others without a little bit of professional help. It's much more complex than it seems!

If you've never been professionally pierced (and piercing guns don't count), then I'd recommend getting at least one piercing done by a professional first, just to get an idea of how the process works. There's definitely a reason that piercers apprentice for so long before they start working professionally.

I also second the recommendation to check www.bmezine.com...just realize that you will have a lot of professionals that will give you the "DIY piercing is dumb" speech. And they don't just say that to get your money. There's a lot involved in making sure your tools are clean (and boiling water or a candle is not adequate) and that your aftercare routine is up to par.

Also, realize that you will need a fresh, sterile needle for every hole you poke. A piercing needle dulls every time it goes through your flesh, and the labret and tongue especially are thick tissue that requires a little effort to pierce. I never realized until I had a few piercings done that they don't go through the same as a standard lobe. It takes a little "umph" to get the needle to go through.

Also, as far as materials, you're going to need gloves (which you'll change everytime you touch ANYTHING that hasn't been sterilized), lubricant, hemostats, sterile workspace, anti-bacterial mouthwash (for oral piercings), a sterile surgical marker, a mirror, etc. In the end, unless you plan on doing a TON of piercings, it's really more economical to find a professional to do the piercings for you (that's the main reason I don't do my own currently).

Once again, let me stress that I'm not saying DON'T do it, but I'm just saying, be careful. Educate yourself on healing, aftercare, cross-contamination/sterilization, what to expect pain-wise, and proper piercing procedure. I understand there are reasons for DIY piercings, though. In fact, I'm planning on doing several "personal" piercings on myself this summer. But, I wouldn't even consider doing it without tons of learning and preparation.

Good luck, and be sure to ask ANY questions you have. It's better to ask, and take a chance of someone saying something unkind than harming yourself. If you have any questions, PM me, and I'll try to answer them, or direct you to a place to get an answer.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73