View Single Post
Old 04-23-2004, 07:52 AM   #26 (permalink)
iccky
Psycho

Quote:
Originally posted by Fallon
the reason he probably did it was to say to if you want to start a war, there won't be any special people who, because they are rich, can get out of it like there was with Vietnam. This would outrage all of america if it were to pass because no longer would it be a war for those that don't really have any other choice(ie: those that need the money or there are no options really left for them) or the ones that want to join. It would include every little rich kid or kids with parents with connections.
In my opinion, it's more of a statement, in that he knows it will fail, then it is meant as a real action.
I think this sums it up. I don't know about Chuck Hegel's motives, but that is definitly when Charles Rangel introduced this in the house awhile ago.

I think its a point that needs to be made. How many people on this thread who said some variation on "fuck that" either supported the war or didn't give a shit one way or another? Does that mean its ok for your country to go to war, but you sure as hell wouldn't go?

War is a serious thing, something that must be the collective decision and burden of all of a nation's citizens. Otherwise, it will be embarked upon too since a small minority will be taking all of the damage from the large majority's decisions. Paying others to do the dirty work (i.e. the current system) doesn't help. it creates a culture where the military begins to feel like "the only true Americans," and that everyone without a military record is a lazy shit (I write this sittin in a towel at noon after sleeping in and surfing the net for hours, so maybe they have a point). It creates a culture where the everyday citizens in a democracy are disconnected from the tough things a nation-state must sometimes do. This is, afterall, what led to the fall of Rome.

Quote:
not in my opinion, it affects everyone,(in America) even those who don't give a shit about politics.
This is just my personal pet peeve, but I think this issue is a perfect example of how politics affects everyone. To me, saying "I don't worry about politics" is like saying "I don't clean my bathroom." We live in a democratic society, where decisions about government policy are made colectivley. Which makes the responsibility of understanding and making political decisions the responsibility of every American. Ignore that and you ignore an essential part of your life. The reason American politics are in such a sorry state is because not enough people have been cleaning out their political bathroom.

/end rant, this is probablly a subject for another thread, didn't mean to distract from the draft

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54