View Single Post
Old 03-25-2004, 10:20 AM   #48 (permalink)
hrdwareguy
"Officer, I was in fear for my life"

While I generally agree with Lebell on gun controll issues I wanted to make a couple of points.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lebell
[B]Putting any[\b] fully automatic weapon parts in a gun makes it a "machine gun" to the ATF (whether or not it actually functions as such doesn't even matter). If you get caught, it's a vacation at Club Fed.

And it isn't that easy to do either. (Certainly not just "shaving metal from the internals").

Several parts are incompatable and require a machine shop to change.

Definitely beyond the average person's ability.
With an AR15/M16 conversion this is very easy to do. The machine work for the auto seer is the only machining that needs to be done. Add the auto seer, a bolt carier with the long brace. Replace the fire control selector switch, the hammer, and the disconnect and you are done. Aside from the machining, a simple process. Obtaining the parts may be a little difficult but if someone really wants to, they will.

For all the people worried about fully automatic weapons (silencers are also included in this) and the general population having them, as already stated, these are highly regulated by the 1934 Firearms Act. In order to purchase an NFA item, first you must find an NFA dealer. (Yes there are certain things you must due if you want to even sell this stuff). After you find a dealer, and you find the item you wish to purchase at an incredibly high price (silencers can easily run into the $800 range), the dealer fills out a form and gives to you, you get that signed by your local law enforcement, send it to the ATF with fingerprints, a picture and $200. The ATF takes it time (usually 4 to 6 months) to process your application. If approved it goes back to the store owner who calls you to come get your item. You now go pay for your item and the store owner gives you a letter from the ATF with your picture and finger prints on it, and a tax stamp for the item purchased. Your picture is part of the letter. You MUST keep the letter and the stamp with the NFA item purchased at all times. You have also given the ATF permission to come into your home and check for these items whenever they want. So it's not as easy to get these items leagilly as many of you may think.

Now to the topic of the thread so I am not accused of threadjacking. I am glad the AWB will sunset. It was a symbol and a bunch of lip service to the anti gun populace. Gun control should be based on the individual, not the gun.

Aim for the TFP, Donate Today

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73