View Single Post
Old 03-21-2004, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Toecutter
Tilted

Motivation for relationships

Warning: long-winded post ahead

I have a question for anyone who would like to take a stab at it. What has/had/does motivate you in your relationship with your SO? Be it marriage, dating, fck buddy, etc, etc; what were the beliefs, reasons, the how's, why's and therefore's for your current situation?

I'll give ya a bit of background on myself. Typical situation, parents divorced when i was 7, mom had custody, remarried when i was 11, raised in a strict pentacostal home (i.e. mandatory church, xtian & home school).

I guess, for me, this could have layed the foundation for my less than stellar choices in women later on, starting from when i was 17 until i was 25. Fast forward to today, i will be graduating in May with a degree in Network Administration, i have 2 jobs(intern with a gov't agency in their IT dept and do some contract work on the side for a bit o pocket money), i keep myself fairly busy with my hobbies. Basically, in the past couple of years, with me going back to school, I have been getting real with myself on some personal issues, and in the process have found my sense of self, which my religous upbringing failed to offer me.

It would be nice, i think, to be able to include someone(s) in what i am doing in my life right now, but how shall i say this, the desire is flacid at best. This might be "paralysis by analysis" as it were, but have studied a bit of Maslow's Hierarchy of needs. For example, high up in the list is school, work, jamming, working out, chill time, and everything else is like barely hanging on to that list.

I love being single! I enjoy the freedom of being responsible only for myself, but i do admit, i do get abit lonely at times, but when i look at where i have come from and what i have accomplished in the past couple of years, i quicly feel better.

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? Just seeing if you were still reading! LOL

I used to be somewhat needy when it came to women, seeking validation and what not, textbook AFC material, if you will. But now, i'm like "Eh!?!?" or "if you are into me, cool, if not, thats cool as well". Guess what i am trying to say through all of this is that I have put all of my motivation and passion into school, work, and myself, but when it comes to anything else, it's just not there. What motivates you, what are your reasons for relating to other people (either in a friendship, casual or non sexual or sexual). I've done alot of soul-searching about alot of things, and have gotten answers, but on this, i got nuthin'. Thanks for reading and or replying.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73