View Single Post
Old 03-20-2004, 09:25 AM   #21 (permalink)
pan6467
Lennonite Priest

I don't believe that people who come here and experience "our way of life" hates it. I believe it is governments and religions that teach their undereducated that the way we live is evil. And they teach their people that we go to war and take over their lands to destroy their religion.

North Korea teaches their kids at every level that we are the enemy and must be destroyed. Diplomatically, that is hard to overcome on both sides. How can their leader deal with us in peace if we are the Giant evil he paints us to be? However, this is a country that is starving and starvation promotes hatred. If we were to open peaceful diplomatic relations and offered help and educated their people that we were trying to help it would destroy that myth their government preaches.

After watching Bush and Co. backpedal and deny and change reasons for Iraq, I can see part of the problem. Had Bush given 1 reason and never wavered from that reason I truly believe people in ALL COUNTRIES would have more respect for us.

I am not Bush bashing just pointing out I can see why other countries would hate us.

Also, from the outside looking in, we do seem to have a country that is greedy and selfish and believes the world is ours. However, once inside and meeting the people of this country they would find that myth is wrong. That the US is filled with a loving, caring population.

We're the kid on the block that has all the toys and everything the other kids desire. So they are envious. The only way to deter envy is to educate and show that they also can be kids who have everything. One way of doing this is to make sure that companies exploiting their labor PAY the same wages they do here.

It is my belief that if you can get every country to be self sufficient and to be equal then we would have peace. Yes, it would take time and effort to get countries like Ethiopia water and farming BUT we have the technology, we just use the old adage "wouldn't be cost effective".

Which is more cost effective though? Teaching a country irrigation and how to farm and bringing them the technology to use water effectively or have them hate us and train terrorists to hate and kill us?

I'm just saying education and enlightenment is the way to peace, not hatred and bullying and exploitation, which is what we have shown through policy over the last 50 years.
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73