View Single Post
Old 03-19-2004, 08:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Angel
Naughty Just Right

Although I will agree that there are panhandlers who choose that lifestyle as a living, I wouldn't say most homeless people are that way by choice. Have you ever approached a homeless person and engaged in a sincere conversation? I would encourage you to do just that. Step into their world for a while. You may find your eyes open up and yourself less eager to judge once you understand the world from which they come.
Sure, you will stumble across a drunk or druggie wanting money for their next fix. He/she has an addiction and yes, it was a choice in the beginning but not any longer...rehab costs money. And what is the tale behind the alcohol or drug? The outsider looking in doesn't know the facts so how can they judge?
Ever visit a shelter? I have. I take shoes, clothing, toys, bedding etc. when I and my sisters or friends do spring cleaning. When I sit down and have a conversation with a mother and her children, there is nothing in the world that could convince me they WANT or CHOOSE to be there. And the shame that their husband / father feels because he lost his job that barely kept them above water from paycheck to paycheck and they can't afford child care so both parents can work and they never in a million years dreamed that they would end up in this situation. It is a wicked cycle for them.
Now the lazy people who actually have a place to live and lie with their sign they hold, they are the ones that create even more difficulty for those who truly need the help. They are the ones that put that doubt as to if we should help or not. And I loathe them for their abuse on society.
Obviously I could go on with many examples that I have personally experienced through real interaction with these people but I think I've made my point.
BTW: I am a hard working, single woman (at the same job for 17 years) who owns my own home and paid for everything inside of it and owns a car and has earned everything I have....and always, always only one job loss away from losing it all. I never take it for granted.

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was within me an invincible summer.
~Albert Camus

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54