View Single Post
Old 03-04-2004, 10:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
mml
Adrift

Re: Trust the Government

Quote:
Originally posted by ARTelevision
I said this in another thread:
"For what it's worth, I trust my government and I do not mistrust those in power unless they give me reasons to do so. Those would have to be far more significant than the reasons typically referred to.

The common mistrust of government and of those in power is corrosive to both self and society."

I do see the fashion of mistrusting the government to be in large part unfounded. I know many of the reasons given sound defensible. However, I get a sense this attitude of mistrust goes much farther than any possible evidence could justify. This leads me to conclude that it is really carried on for psychological reasons that have very little to do with whether our safety, security, and common good are being provided for and protected.

And, in the end, I see mistrust of government as being just another way that we are eroding the very foundations which give us civilized life.
I came into this discussion a little late, but I tend to agree that mistrust for mistrust's sake is senseless. I do not, in general, mistrust my government. Perhaps because I have spent some time working in government and in politics. Virtually everyone I know who seeks office does so out of the belief that they can make things better. Yes there are those who serve only self interests, but in my experience they are not the norm.

We often grow suspicious of those whose ideology is different from our own, but this is faulty logic. I can disagree but realize that they are doing what they deem right and just. Rather than simply presuming they are out to undermine the fabric of our nation, perhaps it is better to try and understand their point of view to either learn from it or learn how to oppose it.

Mistrust of government is nothing new, and if fact it is a societal norm. All this being said, a little "revolution" now and then never hurts.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54