View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
Baraka_Guru
warrior bodhisattva

Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinn View Post
By forcing yourself into a very dangerous state of ketosis. It's the sort of starvation mode that would occur if you were alone in the desert for a few days. Only extended over months. I'm with everyone else - grats on getting to where you are, now switch to a healthy balanced diet and maintain it.
This is the main concern I have with this kind of diet. I take issue with people who try to normalize it as an viable alternative to regular eating.

It's as though there are people out there publishing books about how the problem with the Western diet is that it's hypoketogenic.

This is not to say, however, that ketogenic states are inherently bad. If you look at certain traditional diets, some are/were essentially or mostly ketogenic. The Inuit diet for example. However, this is an extreme and rare circumstance. These people life in a harsh and limiting climate. Also, if you look more closely at the Inuit diet, it's far different from what most ketogenic-style diets would recommend: game meat (including seal, whale, caribou, fish, etc.), grasses, roots, berries, seaweed, etc.

While this diet is meat-heavy and low-carb, the kind of meat they're eating is far different than what most North Americans eat. It's very rich in omega-3 (incredible protection from various heart/circulation diseases), and they eat things like the blubber and skin, which have additional nutrition. They also eat the organ meats, which have more nutrition as well. Did you know there's vitamin C in things such as caribou liver, kelp, whale skin, and seal brain? Yeah, but most of it is destroyed by cooking it, which is good that they usually eat these things raw or frozen. I was reading how they are also known to eat the contents of the stomachs of caribou they've hunted. Hey, "free" food, right?

So, yeah, ketogenic diets might work better if you eat a traditional one.

Inuit diet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Humankind cannot bear very much reality.
—From "Burnt Norton," Four Quartets (1936), T. S. Eliot

Last edited by Baraka_Guru; 06-10-2011 at 10:09 AM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62